• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2009 King of the Cats Discussion

DTro

Well, we are only a couple of months removed from the 2008 version of this contest and my mind is already on next spring and those warm nights chasing Cats.

Anyways I just wanted to start a thread about a 2009 contest and get some feedback on how to make it better.

I liked the individual thing versus the team deal we did the year before and for the most part liked the 2008 format. Not a whole lot that needs to be changed IMO.

What did you like?

What didn’t you like?

Anything you would like to see or changed?

I can’t promise that anything will get implemented, but brainstorming is always good. Especially in the offseason.

We have 5 or 6 months to discuss this, so we better get at it asap grin

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still liked the teams we had the first year, it kept me going till late fall. I guess it is nice if you want to bail, you can do it in late Aug. or Sept. if you want and not disappoint anyone.

The first year of the KOTC had that team feeling, this year it did not. Still cool though smile , just not like the first year grin. But really, how could you top the first year though wink

Over all it was a great year being on the KOTC and thanks Dtro and Brian for doing the leg work.

Let the King of the Cats shine in 2009 grin

I liked the team concept better. I knew that I wouldn't do well individually from the standpoint that I know I'll never get out enought and I have limited skills in the sport.

That being said I think a combo of the two would be fun. Have teams but then also have an individual leader board. The teams could be random or could have leaders who could have a draft to pick their team. Just my 2 cents.

I'm in no matter what, individual, team, or both. Honestly it would still be pretty easy to do both considering everything is done on spreadsheets and with computers anyway.

I'm a huge fan of fantasy sports, so I think having some captains and drafting some teams would be pretty sweet. But it would have to all be in fun...I don't want it to be a repeat of third grade when you were the last kid picked for dodgeball or something like that.

Imagine the possibilities and the strategizing:

Announcer: "With the thirteenth pick in the 2009 KOTC draft, Minnesota River Cat Club selects...harvey lee."

Analyst: "Wow, how did harvey lee slip to number 13? The Minnesota River Cat Club really got a steal there. While harvey may be out a few weeks with a back surgery and may be gone during the archery season, he still will put many fish in the boat and climatologists predict a wet year for 2009, meaning the Lund will float late into the summer...at this point you gotta think they found the steal of the draft."

The wild cards, the rookies, and the unknowns make it all the better.

I'm in no matter what, individual, team, or both. Honestly it would still be pretty easy to do both considering everything is done on spreadsheets and with computers anyway.

I'm a huge fan of fantasy sports, so I think having some captains and drafting some teams would be pretty sweet. But it would have to all be in fun...I don't want it to be a repeat of third grade when you were the last kid picked for dodgeball or something like that.

Imagine the possibilities and the strategizing:

Announcer: "With the thirteenth pick in the 2009 KOTC draft, Minnesota River Cat Club selects...harvey lee."

Analyst: "Wow, how did harvey lee slip to number 13? The Minnesota River Cat Club really got a steal there. While harvey may be out a few weeks with a back surgery and may be gone during the archery season, he still will put many fish in the boat and climatologists predict a wet year for 2009, meaning the Lund will float late into the summer...at this point you gotta think they found the steal of the draft."

The wild cards, the rookies, and the unknowns make it all the better.

That could very well be one of the funniest posts I've read here

Good stuff!

Originally Posted By: harvey lee
I would like to stay with the single person stats. Just me.

me too...individual was way better...no one was harping on anyone that they weren't out enough or trying hard enough. too much negativity with the team concept.

I'll second that... We did the team thing year one and decided to change the format after the first time.

Also looking at all the eggs on the board, over 50% of the people that entered/signed up never submitted a fish. Now with out getting too exclusive..... if you were to form teams out of the people that submitted fish, you might be able to come up with some form of team format. Then it gets to be alot of work.

me too...individual was way better...no one was harping on anyone that they weren't out enough or trying hard enough. too much negativity with the team concept.

For most people, I don't think this was the case however a few did lose track of the "fun" concept of this. I LOVED the team format and our team got a lot great.

Thats what fishing and these little contests will always be... fun! If you lose sight of that, time to hang up the fishing poles I guess.

I still think we should have a "bonus" species each month that would add points to your total score. Lets say 5 points for catching the "bonus" species. No length & girth measurements, if you catch one, you get the 5 pts. Potential bonus species could be sheepshead, buffalo, carp, gar, whitebass, softshell, and the ever elusive MN River Walleye.

I was fine with both formats. I fished with more people this year since I wasn't focused on the "team" aspect. I just hope for better weather at the gathering next year. Maybe do it in august after the spawning and raining are done?

I liked the KOTC individual format the best. I also enjoyed the KOTC Shootout and would like to see another one of those. I enjoyed the strategy part of the shootout. It was a great year and I'm looking forward to 2009.

Thats what fishing and these little contests will always be... fun! If you lose sight of that, time to hang up the fishing poles I guess.

Fishing is always fun, but being on a team that isn't competitive due to lack of participation makes being in a contest pointless.

If there is a team format then it should be a set up your own team type of deal otherwise keep it individual.

Putting together 3-4 man teams could make things interesting since there is the potential to have same teams year after year.

I prefer the individual format....

But only slightly.....

There is definately something fun about the team format, but the behind the scenes work would increase significantly. A draft or other method for team selection would take some significant planning. I still think that taking the top guys and making them captains.....then drafting the remaining entrants would still be fun. I would prefer to have 5 flats and 5 channels count for each team with no limit on how many of those can be from one individual. That way if someone on the team is slacking, the others can still weigh fish. No pressure. Since the captain is a top finisher from the previous year at least someone from the team will be putting time on the water and keeping everyone in it.

The main reason I like the individual format is that for those of us that it favors those that put time on the water. If you get in the top ten....you either got really lucky, or you put your time in.

Either way......I'm coming home with some hardware next year.

My vote is for individual only. I also propose making it only one fish of each category. Not everyone can fish five nights a week and having it be the single largest opens it up to a really lucky catch. Frequent fishers will still have the edge but at least you could compete with a lucky fish. You still would have the fun of upgrades. I think I would be more proud of saying I caught the largest fish rather than saying I caught the best average of three large fish even though someone else may have caught a nicer fish. Might save some work in the process.

Harvey Lee, are you counting the days in March and April too? grin I hate to think about how much time we put in last year. 3-5 days a week and averaged probably 6hrs/trip.

I might have to scale er back a bit this year, or not. smile

Regarding the contest, I haven’t yet read anything compelling enough to make any changes, but still keeping an open mind. The one reason I like to keep it the same is that it builds tradition and that is what makes these things fun. You know what to expect and not only that, it would be fun to compare totals from previous years.

I also wouldn’t like to change it to a one fish rule. That is like all of us drawing the top five numbers from a hat. I would rather reward the guys that put in some time and catch multiple fish. It is a fishing contest after all.

I also wouldn't like to change it to a one fish rule. That is like all of us drawing the top five numbers from a hat. I would rather reward the guys that put in some time and catch multiple fish. It is a fishing contest after all.

Amen. A one fish contest makes it all about luck. Putting in a lot of time is not the only requirement for a successful year. Knowing where, when and how to fish has even more to do with it. I work hard for my fish - collecting and keeping bait; fishing during tough times (high water, during bad weather, during the spawn); scouting and fishing new unproven spots. I'm fortunate to be able to spend a lot of time on the water but a lot of that time I don't catch fish. I work my buttocks off for just about every fish. That is what makes it challenging and fun.

The KOTC actually helps the fishing - the sharing of information and comparing tactics and techniques, and creating an incentive to fish. Many nights I found myself out there just to try and get an upgrade on the KOTC cat boards. Don't change a thing.

Yes, Darren, I plan on hitting the river for cats as soon as the water is warm enough. I usually spend my first month on Poll 4 & 5 on the Sippi for early eyes.

Then, when the water is a little warmer, I plan on hitting the Minnesota 4-6 times per week including some daylight hours for channels.

I can go out as I have in the past and if I get lucky may get into the top 5. I figure if I double the time I normally fish and fish 50% more, I might pick up one or two more larger flats than normal.

This is what I believe I need to do to finish in the top 3 for flats. Also a little luck.

Maybe I need a River Pro.