Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
eurolarva

Clam 5600 or Frabill Trekker DXC

10 posts in this topic

I am looking to upgrade to a two person portable. I saw both of these at Gander. How fast does the 5600 set up. Will I need a sled for it to pull it from point a to b? I like the Trekker cause of the seats. I have back problems and need something that is comfortable. I will be using an explorer and on early ice will have to pull it by hand until ice is thick enough to drive on. The 5600 is tall enough for me to stand straight up. Is wind a problem for the 5600? I am looking for the best option of any portable that will fit two comfortably and it under 100 lb that will fit in the back of a ford explorer.

I think you will be happier with the Trekker (assuming it fits in your explorer). I don't own one, but them seats are comfy when I tried them at the store.

Friend had a 5600 - they are easy to setup, but not much room for placing your gear. He ended up upgrading to the 6800. On the trekker it all stays in the tub, out of the way of the fishing area. Also, IMO if you have more than a couple inches of snow (not hardpack), the 5600 does not pull very well by hand unless you put a ski system underneath. If your still leaning towards a 5600, you can find them at a pretty good price for almost new condition on some of the classified sites.

The 5600 slides nice n easy on glare ice, not so great on snow covered ice, regardless- Clam anyday over any other kind of portable ice houses. They wrote the book, and improve almost every year. The 5600 btw takes about 3-5 minutes to set up.

If there is any snow on the ice, the 5600 is a pain to pull, and even worse with gear on it. Get the Frabill.

If you wish cabin unit with a floor, the Clam 5600 is a very good unit.

If you move often than the New Frabill Trekker DLX is far more handy, comfortable, and efficient.

They will both take up about the same space in a vehicle, so it is a fit to your needs thing.

I think in the long run the Trekker DLX will put you on more fish because you will move more due to the ease in doing so.

I have the 5600 and the X2. The 5600 is a bear to pull out if there is any snow on the ground...its more or less a plow. I built a ski/sled to move it around and that seems to work a bunch.

Started with the 5600 but upgraded for the pull over far the ease of moving and setting up elsewhere.

Both take about the same amount of time to set up but in order to move the take down is much longer with the 5600.

Thanks for the replies. The reason I picked the Frabill DXC is the chairs. I looked at the clams but they were heavier and bigger. There will be times I am out by myself and I want to be able to handle the portable by myself. If there is a a quality issue with Frabill I would like to hear it. The DXC is 60x35x18 and the weight is 85 lb. It will fit into the explorer if the back seat is down.

Well I went with the Trekker DXC. Going to put it together tomorrow. I looked at the Trekker for a hundred bucks cheaper but after sitting in the DXC chairs I made my decision.

Congrats on the new Shack ... won't be long before you will be out breaking it in on early ice!

If you don't have them already, I recommend getting a couple of the Frabill hooks that you can attach to the roof poles - work great for hanging your jackets, lantern, etc.