• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

breaker issue

Barony

Again Bob, you are right. It started as one problem and morphed into something different and it should be taken care of professionally. But, I went on a dity a few months ago about how electicity isn't always homeowner friendly and wasn't going to help anymore, since everybody has their 2 cents and not all of it is right and someone could get hurt. Well, I was reminded by a few people that this is a help forum, and with no help "we might as well shut down".

So, what does a guy do? Do you try to feed proper information based on the information given or let it slide, and hope things don't go bad? You know if you post "It's to deep, call a contractor" posters will just say your trying to drum up buisiness and it's not that hard. That statement has been said many, many times here.

So, what should a guy do? Try to help or bite the keyboard and hope nobody gets hurt?

You bring up a good point. One can feel stuck in the mud. If we offer support to help someone and due to lack of information the result is that they do something incorrect and someone gets hurt, where does that put us? If we say nothing, chances are they'll go elsewhere or nowhere and still do the job only to do it incorrecly and/or illegally and again someone gets hurt. It can be a lose-lose situation.

It might be easier to sleep at night with the knowledge that we tried to help them do the job right and we highly recommended they seek professional assistance. Too often people take electricity too lightly and we aren't going to change that.

Kind of gets one to remember that you can lead a horse to water but....

Bob

Again Bob, you are right. It started as one problem and morphed into something different and it should be taken care of professionally. But, I went on a dity a few months ago about how electicity isn't always homeowner friendly and wasn't going to help anymore, since everybody has their 2 cents and not all of it is right and someone could get hurt. Well, I was reminded by a few people that this is a help forum, and with no help "we might as well shut down".

So, what does a guy do? Do you try to feed proper information based on the information given or let it slide, and hope things don't go bad? You know if you post "It's to deep, call a contractor" posters will just say your trying to drum up buisiness and it's not that hard. That statement has been said many, many times here.

So, what should a guy do? Try to help or bite the keyboard and hope nobody gets hurt?

This is exactly why I think profiles viewing is important here in HomeImprovement! Why take electrict advise from a plumber,carpenter or anyone who isn't in the know.I could give elec advise also,but at times it gets complicated,reading a code for some can be confusing! Then you also get the uninformed advise>>DANGER<<

I when bad advise was given thought wow who is that? any advise in any field,I would check a profile and see the advise was from someone in a far away field! But they did their own work at home and it worked so thats the way they post.Proper or not advise is given!

mnfish I probably was one suggesting YOU keep giving GOOD advise as I saw your profile.Thanks for doin it!!

Getting bits of information as the thread goes on is typical.

Most of my replies are questions first, later as the tread develops then answers can be given. Not seeing first hand with our own eyes we're at a disadvantage. Using the internet to trouble shoot or go about giving directions we need to go about that differently. If we take all the replies and answers to those replies and work together using that info then it can work. In this case trouble shooting a breaker that trips.

While it appears to have been a bad breaker, which I suspected. Members, along with myself weren't fast to suggest it as the cause. If the cause was something else then that needed to be found out first. I think that was done correctly.

We're still left not knowing if this is a junction box or sub panel so this issue isn't over with. A picture would be helpful here.