• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice Armor Suits

poutpro

If you are lookiing for additional non-blue options, the Vexilar suites are nice and warm and very reasonably priced.

Stikemaster suites which I don't hear much about on this forum (not sure why), also look pretty decent - but have no personal experience with them.

I have a couple of questions about AA.

Has anyone tested AA as to how water proof it is?

Has anyone actually tested it's buoyancy with winter clothing and boots on?

My concern is people are are using AA as a personal life perserver. I don't believe AA is coast gard approved.

there was a channel 5 news coverage showing guys with winter boots jumping into the frozen lake and floated right up. I think it's pretty strong at floating ya. Also, with the AA , it doesn't seem like you need a whole lot of layering. My buddies told me it's waterproof enough it can be used as a rain suit. When you fall into the water however, it doesn't keep water out.

BOB/MN

The Arctic Armor is waterproof.

You can go to the Idi gear HSOforum and there are video clips of people dressed in their suits and they jump into the water. A very bouyant suit.

http://www.idigear.com/

I have archery hunted in my camo version and I was hunting in a light rain for approx 2 hours. My skin did not get wet but the suit did get a little bit heavier. Not really a rain suit but in light rain it kept me dry. Check them out here.

http://www.outdoorprostore.com/arctic-armor.html

Quote:
Has anyone tested AA as to how water proof it is?

HSO/FM owns Airjer broke threw the ice up on ML last year with his Arctic Armor on and after he still went on to fish the rest of they day wink

He is a Super Trooper grin.

No really he did break threw, but only up to his knees. That was in the AM and he said the sealing/tightness from the Arctic Armor kept all water out and from going into his boot. I would say his feet/legs where only in the water a couple seconds, but the Arctic Armor kept the water out and he fished the rest of the day smile.

BOB/MN

The Arctic Armor is water repellant, not waterproof.

http://www.outdoorprostore.com/arctic-armor.html

Arctic Armor is 100% waterproof, tried and tested. I've been in serious drenching rains, kneeled in pools of water on top of melting lakes, etc... and I am completely dry. Only the outer layer of the suit (nylon) holds moisture and it does not penetrate the Insultex layer.

Bob/MN - It is not Coast Guard approved. My understanding is to get that USCG approval the suit will cost a lot more to consumers. The way I look at it, the floatation is an added bonus and I'll let the other guys walk into the frozen waters to test it thoroughly with all the gear on...I'll sit back and watch. grin

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

I've also been in heavy downpours in the spring and fall with it out in a boat and stayed dry.

It is not USCG approved but I have seen guys who went purposely out on thin ice, broke through and floated. Check out the picture of a guy floating at OutDoorProStore.com - HSO Arctic Armor.

Hey Scott. I still have and use my Heco shack. My Mother bought it for me on my 21st Birthday. That was in 1976. I lived in Winona 48 years, but now live North of Hayward Wi. Fishing still good at Wilcox, Pritchards, Sam Gordys?

Well I am on my second season with AA. Its great that it floats ill wear it on thin ice and thats it for the coat. I have no complaints on the bibs but the coat leaves alot to be desired. I'll be at the ice show this weekend looking for a Strikemaster or Frabill suit. They might weigh a little bit more but that means i wont be cold on the ice hunched over a hole.