• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice auger Price discrepencies

SigTwitch

Question

So for those of you in the industry, let me ask a you a question. I am currently looking at both the Strikemaster Mag 2000 and the Lazer Mag Express. The engines are virtually the same 2hp Tecumsah engines and other then that, the only real difference is the blades. I agree that the "shaver" design is much more efficient than the "chipper" design; however the price is more then $100 higher ($409 usually), for the Lazer mag then the 2000 ($289-$329). If you even go to the Strikemaster HSOforum, the auger is only $50 more for the 8" model yet in all stores, the price is $100 more for the Lazer mag vs the Mag 2000. Let me know what you think, seems to me that most stores should lower the price on the Lazer mag to about $350 tops!

6 answers to this question

You can always go with the cheaper Mag 2000 (the power heads are identical for the 2 other than color and stickers) and keep your eye out for a Lazer bit. I got a Lazer bit for mine on hsolist for less than $100 and now I have two bits to use depending on the situation (chipper for early and dirty ice, and the lazer for the thick stuff).

I know what you mean my original $150 Mag III Plus (Demo) came with a 10" chipper auger. Then I immediately sold the chipper auger for $50 and purchased the 6" lazer auger assembly. Last season I bought a 7" lazer auger assembly for my Strikemaster power head for sight fishing. The motor is the most important thing, also purchasing at the end of the season saved me and additional $100 off the regular retail price back in 1997.

Yes the lazer does cut faster, but the blades are more touchy. I owned a lazer bit, but sold it for a chipper bit (mag 2000) and it works better for me since I have a wheelhouse and need to open old holes. I would say the lazer does cut faster, but the mag cuts really well too. Can't go wrong with either choice, the engine is the same on both and it runs very well!