• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rage 3 blade broadhead expansion, poor performance

Tippman

Just some food for thought on Rage's. This was my nice buck from 2 weeks ago. I knew only 2 of the 3 blades opened after I gut him out. He was 25 yrds and the complete arrow didn't even exit the animal probably becauese of one of the blades pushing instead of cutting. Never did find the broadhead end of the arrow after it broke in half. Here's pics.

Entry

PB170087.jpg

Exit

PB170086.jpg

So you guys shooting two blades what if one doesn't open??

All I can say is that 3rd blade was more of an insurance policy, you don't have to have it but it sure nice when you need it!!!!!

Nice graphic pictures, it's the real deal and what it's all about, a good clean kill.

thanks for sharing Tippman,

mr

Yikes! That's not a picture Field Logic would like to see. At least it performed well enough to get the job done efficiently. Left a pretty nice hole. My 3 blade Rage performed well last fall but my two blade is still awaiting deployment in my quiver this year. I can't wait to open up a doe with it. I bet I know what won't be in your quiver next fall!

I wouldn't count out the rage just yet but think it could have been multiple reasons for not deploying to not opening. Angle, not any contact with flesh to warrant to open hence the other two blades did enough damage, or it might have been jammed or stuck into the farring (sp?)...

Let me ask you this, have any of your other fixed blades make this kind of enter, exit hole? just my .02

mr

I took a doe on Saturday with a 3 blade, I too had one blade half deploy. Wasn't really worried about it though when I picked up my arrow, I had a good clean shot and found the deer 30 yards from where I shot it. Exit hole still looked like I shoved a pop can thru the deer.

I shot a doe yesterday with a 2 blade. Incredible performance, she only ran 50 yards with a blood trail a blind man could follow. My only concern is that it was a quartering away shot with the entrance being high behind the last rib, exit in front of offside shoulder. The entrace hole was plugged with a softball size hunk of intestine, no blood. What would have happened if the arrow stayed in the offside shoulder, no blood trail. She would have gone down just as fast but, what if.

Yet another reason to avoid all mechanicals like the plague. Just when the marketing starts to sound pretty good, you read a post where two guys have blades fail to deploy. I think I'll stick with my NAP Nitrons. They fly the same as my field points, and are always 'deployed'.

I shot a buck a few weeks ago with 3-blade rage. I didn't have a problem with both arrows that I put into him. (I put an insurance shot into him, because I didn't think I hit him as well as I actually did). Both broadheads performed well and broke ribs on the way in with complete pass throughs.

I think I can see the problem because afterwards my blades were very slightly bent, so you could hardly tell, but they didn't slide back and forth. They did open, but maybe on your deer they were slightly bent immediately upon hitting rib bones or whatever, just enough so that it wouldn't open.

The thing that I like about these heads is that if for some reason they don't deploy, there is still enough exposed cutting surface to kill a deer with a well placed shot.

It seems with any head there will be positive and negative reactions. I am just stating my experience with these broadheads.

a buddy of mine had the rage expandables and the same thing happend to him. Only 2 of the three blades opened up and only went 8 inches into the deer. I myself dont like the design on how the blades sit and are held in place. the pop out way too easy on some of the o rings. I haven't had a problem with the split fire broadheads. clean pass through and gaping hole. All the deer that i've shot with those havn't gone more than 50 yards and they were done for.