Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Eyehunter2

Rattle reel setup

8 posts in this topic

I just bought a couple rarrle reels and dont know how to set them up, any help? DO YOU JUST SET THR REEL TENSIONER SO LINE STAYS AT DEPTH YOU WANT? HELP PLEASE

Although I have seen other do what you suggested. I use mine like a slip bobber rig. I simply put a slip bobber on and use a split shot or rubber band to set the depth. I have young kids that are always messing with the rattle wheels. This way I know the depth is where it should be after little jack gives the minnow a little wiggle. I keep the tension pretty loose and the bobber has never been an issue when pulling in a fish.

For mine, I simply use a slip bobber line marker to distinguish my line depth. I set my tension similar to what you would get from a tip-up. I don't like it to free spool easily, cause your apt to be pulling alot of slack line. I set it just enough so there isn't loose line to worry about, and yet enough that it'll help with a good hook set.

I set it just enough so there isn't loose line to worry about, and yet enough that it'll help with a good hook set.

Not quite sure I understand how that works. What variance with the tension you set on a rattle reel can help with how you get a hook set? Thanks!

I mainly use mine for walleye. Now if I let my rattle reel free spool w/o any tension on it when it turns, when the fish runs it's going to free spool it and you'll have line everywhere. I have rubber grommets on mine to push against the reel to +/- the tension of it. I keep it up against the reel just enough to where I can't pull the line and spin the reel, then the fish we'll be able to run with the bait, yet not letting them free spool the reel, and allows keeping tension on the line unless they come towards the hole. There has to be some sort of tension on the line either way to have the hook stay in the mouth. Just letting the line slack out doesn't guarantee anything but a dropped bait.

i just use a regular fishing bobber on mine; with the spools allowed to free spool if a fish takes the bait. im usually up and at the hole even in the middle of the night before the bobber even gets under the ice and that way seems to work just fine for me.

even if you run a normal size bobber pike love to run with the line no matter what the line is on! tip ups ect. just try all the different ways and see what you like best.