• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

12V DC TV/DVD combo

firenfish

I remember talking with someone a couple years ago at the portable mod. get together that figured out his LCD TV actually had a built in converter that turned 110 into 12v. He ended up just bypassing the build in converter, and ran it off of the house 12v power.

Anyone else know anything about this? It was rainy and cold that day, so maybe I miss understood, what with the trying to stay dry and all grin

I have a Magnavox 17" LCD and its cord has an ac to dc converter. the back of the tv said 12vDC 3 amp so I bought a cord with a cigarette plug in on one end and interchangeable tips on the other, from Radio shack. found the right sized tip, made sure the polarity was right. crossed my fingers and plugged it in and it worked! been useing it since 04 that way.

I must add not all LCD are 12vdc. My uncle works in electronics at Wal-mart and said last year they had a few that were dc and this year they all are AC.

Target had some 13 or 15 inch that if you looked on the back, they had a little Converter not Inverter, on the cord...it turned 120V into 12V, which is what the Unit actually ran on...so you could cut the cord after the Converter and just run straight 12V...

If you are not using an Antennae, you are probably only using the DVD, and you could just get a DVD Player, though not too large...

There are also a few small Inverters that don't use a cooling fan and therefore draw a little less...

Of course Solar Panels from Northern Tool can help too...