• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Letting small bucks walk?

I'll be going out during the 3B season to hammer on some does, I do expect to let little bucks walk as I have all week to hunt. My Brother in law only has 2 days, he will shoot whatever gets in front of him, we hunt the same 40 acre chunk and I am OK with that. He knows that if there is a little buck and a doe to shoot the doe, but if a loner youngen comes in, its probably going to get shot by him. I let tons of small bucks pass when bow hunting on state land. I hunt next to some really nasty terrain, I know some of those little guys will get shot, but some get through, thats why I see big guys over there every year before the firearm season. It doesn't hurt to let the little guys go if you can or want to. I commend anybody for doing that and will not prosecute anyone that shoots a little buck, I do however, question those that shoot a little buck and let the does go, just because it has a little set of antlers. I think that most people on here, think that way. There are few hardcore QDMr's that would rather not shoot a deer than shoot a small buck, and they have that right, but everybody else still has the right to shoot that little guy the QDM'r passed up and they need to be able to deal with it.

I commend the guy that let the little 6 pointer pass. It is a trend that is growing, I don't think we need the DNR to regulate what we shoot. They should keep regulating for population and let the hunters decide what kind of management they want to pursue.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally agree. It should be the hunters choice...or the landowners choice if he has a preference. No bashing here to people that shoot little bucks for the meat. I have shot enough in my life to qualify in the meat hunter side. Down around where I hunt there are some big deer but they are rarely seen by me. Up north where I rifle hunt there is a better chance at getting a big buck...but it is a bonus area and if I want meat I can shoot a couple does...all personal preference.

If you hunt in the south central part of the state, just shooting does is NOT an option. A doe tag is once every 3-4 years to get.

How so? Up until this year you could shoot 2 does and one buck in almost the entire state and if you bow hunt you still can shoot a doe without a lottery permit in the entire state.

You knew what this thread was about by reading the first post...why join in if you don't agree with it?

The term "shooter" is not going away.

MN is so far away from the "pros" coming in and locking up all the land it isn't even funny....the genetics aren't here to consistently grow what they are looking for, but decent bucks can be harvested if they are just given a pass when they are young.

Are you so afraid to go home empty handed that you just can't fathom the thought of passing a little buck? Is deer hunting to you all about the kill so you kill the first thing you see and go home or would you like to actually spend some time in the woods and maybe learn a thing or two? I just can't figure out why you guys that oppose letting little bucks walk wouldn't want to actually SEE a big buck once in a while. Have you ever? You never will if you shoot the first buck you see every year. I think it is such a rare occurance for the "gun hunter" crowd in MN that they just don't think it will ever happen so why bother. One close encounter with a buck that makes your knees shake so bad you can't stand up is all it takes to change your thinking.

Either way, nobody said you had to do anything...shoot what you want, be happy, if you don't like threads about passing little deer don't join in.

Trigger, your post is pretty accurate. I find it funny how greedy our society is. Most people want YOU to let the little on go so THEY get to shoot it next year or later. Everyone with a license has the choice to hunt within the rules a 4 pt buck or a doe may be TROPHY to some, especially in southcentral MN. Once they shoot a few their standards will raise.

I am all in favor of letting smaller bucks walk with the chance of them making it through unitl next year, but I have shot a few in my day, so I'm OK with waiting.

I think this is similar to the fishing guide or avid fisherman that fishes 150 days a summer and catches thousands of walleyes wanting more regulations and slots to increase their chances of bigger fish. They tend to look down on the guy that fishes 6 days the entire year and keeps the one 22 inch walleye for his meal. I really think it is greed, YOU let it go so I can catch it next year. That 22 incher may be the biggest fish that guy EVER catches, let him keep it!

I know this is off topic a bit, but it seems like we are quick to tell someone what to do if it fits our agenda.

Originally Posted By: smnduck
If you hunt in the south central part of the state, just shooting does is NOT an option. A doe tag is once every 3-4 years to get.

How so? Up until this year you could shoot 2 does and one buck in almost the entire state and if you bow hunt you still can shoot a doe without a lottery permit in the entire state.

You knew what this thread was about by reading the first post...why join in if you don't agree with it?

MN is so far away from the "pros" coming in and locking up all the land it isn't even funny....the genetics aren't here to consistently grow what they are looking for, but decent bucks can be harvested if they are just given a pass when they are young.

Are you so afraid to go home empty handed that you just can't fathom the thought of passing a little buck? Is deer hunting to you all about the kill so you kill the first thing you see and go home or would you like to actually spend some time in the woods and maybe learn a thing or two? I just can't figure out why you guys that oppose letting little bucks walk wouldn't want to actually SEE a big buck once in a while. Have you ever? You never will if you shoot the first buck you see every year. I think it is such a rare occurance for the "gun hunter" crowd in MN that they just don't think it will ever happen so why bother. One close encounter with a buck that makes your knees shake so bad you can't stand up is all it takes to change your thinking.

Either way, nobody said you had to do anything...shoot what you want, be happy, if you don't like threads about passing little deer don't join in.

Obviously you do not hunt in South Central or South Western MN. We had 3 doe permits for 8 guys and a friend of mine got NO doe tags for 7 guys. If we want meat for everyone, then we shoot what we can.

I'm a believer in letting the small basket racks or young bucks walk now days too. I started doing this about 9-10 years ago. Prior to that, I was a meat hunter. There were many reasons I hunted that way..

#1 - I was a college student, and I didn't have the money or time to take off work, and hunt very much...1 or 2 days a season was it...So my time in the woods was limited. And I wasn't interested in eating tag soup then. If it was brown it was down.

#2 - I didn't know what deer really existed on the property, until I invested into some trail cameras and spent more time in the woods.

#3 - I really didn't know or understand what type of impact I had in my qwest of seeing bigger bucks.

So for 5 years into my new plan of letting young bucks go, I took nothing but does and "tried" to control the right mix of deer. I let every buck walk, unless it was a definite hog of course, (But I didn't see any matures either during that time frame) Take into consideration, that after many years of "meat" hunting, this wasn't an easy task. Many, Many times I thought to myself, well I can take just one buck, that shouldn't make a difference should it? He's a nice one. Or I thought, I let this one go, but what are the realistic chances he doesn't wander off and someone else takes him? The only reasonable answer I could come up with was...if I take him out, I will know for a fact I wont' see him again. I'll roll the dice and take my chances of seeing him next year. Were these bucks that I either seen on camera or watched season in season out, get shot by others? Probubally Some of them. And I always made a point to drive by their farm houses, looking at the raised tractor bucket, scooping out what bucks were taken. I wasn't mad at their practices if I happen to notice, what I thought was a buck I seen earlier. I was once in their shoes, and could understand both sides. And realistically, I can only control, what I can control. With most hunters in the state of MN, is very difficult to have everyone on the same page or a whole section, or wanting individual or hunting parties to practice you harvesting standards, unless your lucky enough to hunt on thousands of acres, in which your chances would be much better.

During this time frame, I was explaining to friends and family that I just watched a nice 8 pointer go by me this day, and another 8 go by day #2...At first they were calling my bluff, so I decided to bring my camera with - to provide proof. They were baffled on what I just passed on. As they too were/are meat hunters...and if they happened to shoot a nice buck, that was a bonus for the season. And instead of shooting my gun, I took shots with my camera. I not only gained increased buck numbers and antler size, I also gained knowledge and understanding of how to identify the age of a deer more accurately, how they react with does around, their "normal" actions when they don't sense any threat. Watching and experiencing that, was prob the most enjoyable. I also think it has helped me with what a lot of people call "buck fever". Normally I was nervous harvesting ANY deer, but now, I'm able to relax, and not get so nervous..>Don't get me wrong, when I spot a nice buck, I've got many thoughts running through my mind and get "that feeling"...But I think during this process, its helped eliminate some of those jitters. The anticipation and patience is what gets me the most excited.

Yo Amish I am a relative of these guys that waltz all over my land including last year they cut up my deer hunting seat with a knife. The property line is clearly defined in the ditch to the east of my approach, my grandpa ran his fenceline straight north for 1/2 mile. Accusations ? I hear a state record buck is shot in that swamp on Saturday, with light snow, I go walk my 80 the next day and it looked like an army had been through it that day, if that happened on your land wouldn't you wonder a little ? I give none of them permission nor have they ever called to ask. I take my GPS from the road and go in 1/2 mile passing one of their stand and a 4 wheel trail and bulldozed down trees, this should all be ok right, if I were to do the same on my grandpa's old property I'd be shot. Oh I see they can hunt my land when I'm not around but I can't hunt theirs, I get it now. Accusations ? I'm not saying they are dishonest. Fact-They ruined my deer stand Fact-They trespass at will when I'm not on the approach.Fact- I do not walk their property.Fact-Sunday morning they would've driven my land once again but when they saw me in my stand they just turned around and walked east. They don't need that approach anyway, they live right next to the swamp, they all do. They have about 1,000 acres between the 3 major owners, all I want is for 5 days and some muzzleloader days to be left alone so I might get a chance. 1 last fact if they want to buy the land it is for sale. 1 last fact I took buck number 20 off that property Sunday, a 14 pointer.

I'm a believer in letting the small basket racks or young bucks walk now days too. I started doing this about 9-10 years ago. Prior to that, I was a meat hunter. There were many reasons I hunted that way..

#1 - I was a college student, and I didn't have the money or time to take off work, and hunt very much...1 or 2 days a season was it...So my time in the woods was limited. And I wasn't interested in eating tag soup then. If it was brown it was down.

#2 - I didn't know what deer really existed on the property, until I invested into some trail cameras and spent more time in the woods.

#3 - I really didn't know or understand what type of impact I had in my qwest of seeing bigger bucks.

So for 5 years into my new plan of letting young bucks go, I took nothing but does and "tried" to control the right mix of deer. I let every buck walk, unless it was a definite hog of course, (But I didn't see any matures either during that time frame) Take into consideration, that after many years of "meat" hunting, this wasn't an easy task. Many, Many times I thought to myself, well I can take just one buck, that shouldn't make a difference should it? He's a nice one. Or I thought, I let this one go, but what are the realistic chances he doesn't wander off and someone else takes him? The only reasonable answer I could come up with was...if I take him out, I will know for a fact I wont' see him again. I'll roll the dice and take my chances of seeing him next year. Were these bucks that I either seen on camera or watched season in season out, get shot by others? Probubally Some of them. And I always made a point to drive by their farm houses, looking at the raised tractor bucket, scooping out what bucks were taken. I wasn't mad at their practices if I happen to notice, what I thought was a buck I seen earlier. I was once in their shoes, and could understand both sides. And realistically, I can only control, what I can control. With most hunters in the state of MN, is very difficult to have everyone on the same page or a whole section, or wanting individual or hunting parties to practice you harvesting standards, unless your lucky enough to hunt on thousands of acres, in which your chances would be much better.

During this time frame, I was explaining to friends and family that I just watched a nice 8 pointer go by me this day, and another 8 go by day #2...At first they were calling my bluff, so I decided to bring my camera with - to provide proof. They were baffled on what I just passed on. As they too were/are meat hunters...and if they happened to shoot a nice buck, that was a bonus for the season. And instead of shooting my gun, I took shots with my camera. I not only gained increased buck numbers and antler size, I also gained knowledge and understanding of how to identify the age of a deer more accurately, how they react with does around, their "normal" actions when they don't sense any threat. Watching and experiencing that, was prob the most enjoyable. I also think it has helped me with what a lot of people call "buck fever". Normally I was nervous harvesting ANY deer, but now, I'm able to relax, and not get so nervous..>Don't get me wrong, when I spot a nice buck, I've got many thoughts running through my mind and get "that feeling"...But I think during this process, its helped eliminate some of those jitters. The anticipation and patience is what gets me the most excited.

Very nice post man...your avatar description says St Cloud...I am too, we should get together for a beer sometime since finding someone around here that shares the thoughts I have on passing bucks is about as rare as finding an honest politician.

You're exactly right about what you said about learning about deer when you actually start to pass them. If you just shoot the first deer you see and leave the woods you never get the chance to better yourself which is why so many guys are content on believing that "you can't eat the horns" so I just shoot what I see and I'm happy when in all reality they would deep down truly enjoy shooting a big buck even though they won't admit it because you "can't eat the antlers". grin

Originally Posted By: BigWadeS
Originally Posted By: Biff Tannen
Good job. Let them go so they can grow. All these guys shoot small bucks because they want the meat. If you want meat shoot a doe. I am on year 5 on my personal 8pts or bigger to shoot. No basket racks either. Once you start passing on small bucks the easier it gets.

Well the good thing is I shoot bucks and does, once I learn how to cook the antlers I will worry about letting the basket racks and forks go....

You're the same guy that would brag up and down that he finally shot a big buck too if ever given the opportunity and tell the story over and over to your buddies year after year like most people do that actually shoot something worth talking about. I'd tell you about the excitement one actually gets out of harvesting a true mature buck but you don't care since you can't eat the antlers. Have fun shooting your dinks - how big is that pile of fork horns in your garage that you never talk about?

Well I doubt I would brag about to my friends, heck I got the internet know just being honest too many people on here and elsewhere preach the high and mighty with hunting and fishing and then certainly don't follow through....but I bow down to the high and mighty deer gods that are so great in letting all the small deer walk away...

I find it funny that shoottokill says he didn't bash anyone and i you read the quote above it shows he did. Here's the deal, I get to hunt 2-3 days a year for deer that's it. This year I saw two that were out of range and that was it. If I see a deer come through I'm popping it cause I love the meat. I don't care about a trophy. If you do, great let them walk. But don't walk all over others that shoot what they are licensed for. It goes back to the fishing. I fish and if I wanna keep a limit I will. If you don't, then don't. Don't put others down because they shoot and take what they want. The big thing is the meat is not going to waste. I don't feel more like a man because a 10 pointer happened to walk by at the right time. I take a doe or a three pointer anytime if I want some meat.

That's pretty funny...

It's all personal preference...I pass on small ones not because I believe that I will have a chance at him when he's mature, because you need everyone on the surrounding property to join efforts. But I pass on them because I will admit, I am one of those that like big antlers. I hunt bow, gun and muzzy, so meat from a doe is never a problem. After I get my doe it's a mature buck that I seek. Couple reasons, if I tagged the first small buck I saw would rarely if ever get to hunt into muzzy season ( which I really enjoy!) And secondly if I shot that small one, I would never have the chance to put my tag on a mature one... To me it's more about the HUNT than it is the KILL. I could kill small bucks every single year, but I HUNT for the mature ones. And this way I get to hunt typically for a much longer time. And I admit, I get humbled more often than not. It's all what your in to.

Like I said, personal choice, I don't think any one here is acting high and mighty or berating those that shoot what they choose....they are all just stating thier opinions and excercising thier rights.

If you let a small buck pass, all the more power to you. To belittle someone for taking a small buck is wrong. Lust for lack of a better term to get "bragging" rights for large antlers is not a good reason for hunting. Maybe for hunting a mature deer that is old enough to know what danger is and it may show that you have mastered some woodsmanship skills or are lucky. Very few people can harvest mature deer year after year even with the best,largest managed property. To do so also requires an enourmous amount of time which most people do not have. Ease up and enjoy hunting, its for fun. Ya a doe walking by gives me the same feeling as a mature buck as well.

Having read all the posts, there are certainly some strong feelings here. Personally, I passed on at least one small buck each of the last 3 years, on public land. However, I was also up in the stand this year when my son shot his first deer, a spike, and I told him to take it. Sure, we could have waited for a doe or big buck, but how do you tell a kid that. We hunt the thick woods of Superior National Forest and don't see 10-20 deer a day. To keep a young hunter interested in this sport this may be the exception to "let small bucks walk" concept. Same reason you take a kid fishing for sunnies.

Originally Posted By: smnduck

You are wrong about one thing, the genetics in MN deer are as good as other midwestern states. The difference between MN and states like IA and IL is age. The typical 3 year old in MN will look just like 3 year olds in neighboring states, its getting them to 3 years old and beyond that is the issue. I have had taxidermists tell me the genetics are so good in MN that people are bringing in 130" deer to get mounted that they think are 3 year olds and when aged its discovered they are actually 2 year olds.

I'm thinking that with the competition and all, if you really want to improve your chance for trophies short of somehow passing laws that support your efforts, your better off going to a preserve than Minnesota's natural herd.

Taking it from the wild I suspect would be more rewarding for now because it would be more of a once in a lifetime opportunity. If every buck out there was a trophy, they'd lose that status. Enjoy the challenge because it is one. If it wasn't a challenge, it would lose its attraction.

Bob

I hunt 93 acres of land that is surrounded by 15-40 acre pieces of hunting property. We used to be if it's brown it's down but after 10 years of that there was little challenge. The problem was we never saw a decent buck. 7 years ago we put in food plots and raised our standards to only shoot a buck worthy of going on the wall. The result has been 2 on the wall and one big boy missed in the last 6 years. This along with seeing a trophy every year. I know the neighbors shoot some of the bucks we let walk but that is o.k. I know if I shoot them they will never have a chance. I enjoy the work and the challenge of trying to grow big bucks. To me planting food plots, using trail cameras, and letting little bucks walk are as enjoyable as taking a trophy and that is why I hunt. I would never take anything away from someone who shoots a small buck but anyone that doubts that you can improve the size of your bucks because your neighbor shoots them is wrong. I have seen the change first hand. Discussing this with my taxidermist he has seen a difference in recent years also as more people pass on small bucks.

Jeff, for the past 4 years we have done nearly the same thing with our land, we also have parcels around us with hunters on them. Last year we had 3 eights make it thru rifle, this year we have 4 more. In the past 4 years 2 150+ P&Y bucks have been harvested along with a handful of does to put meat on the table. Since our start our neighbors have begun to share the same view of QDM as us and we are only looking to expand that knowledge in our area by simply communicating what we are trying to accomplish.

It's been a great experience thus far for all involved.

Cheffrey,

Speaking with our neighbors is our next step. I've got the proof of two on the wall and hundreds of trail camera pictures to try and sell my point. I'll get my cameras out next week and we'll see what survived the season. How receptive were your neighbors when you spoe with them? I think the biggest problem is people doubting QDM works. I doubted it too but I have seen a significant change even with pressure all around us.