• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trolling motor transducer used as an ice transducer

Ranckenstuff

Question

Hi,

I am looking to convert my Humminbird 595C graph/gps to a winter unit. They don't sell an ice ducer for this unit, so I am curious if a trolling motor transducer will work for ice fishing.

I have the external GPS, and as long as it has a clear view to the sky I should be able to chart. Curious if anyone has pulled a similar conversion with their unit?

1 answer to this question

I have seen it done before with similar units. I have to warn you that there's a fair amount of menkeying around with things to get it to work.

First consideration is the power cable, you will need to pull it out of your boat to use with your portable mount, then put it back in the boat later, or purchase a second one.

Another consideration is the gps antenna. You want to try to have it 3 feet away from the unit to make sure you're not getting interference. I've seen some work right next to the unit and I've seen some that won't lock on at all until they're moved a short distance away.

About the transducer, it will work for ice fishing but you need to have it level with the bottom. That's why the ice transducers are so nice, they hang level by themselves. For a skimmer or puck style transducer, you'll have to rig up some type of mounting bracket or mounting arm that will let you position the transducer horizonally in the hole. I've heard of guys making a 'T' bracket, the top of the T goes across the top of the hole, the vertical part of the T goes down the hole against the edge of it, and the transducer is mounted to the bottom of the vertical part of the T.

Hope this helps, good luck with your conversion project.