• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boat Engines: Which One

Seabass77

Question

I'm looking at the lund 1800 fisherman and I am wondering which motor to go with. Possible selections are the

115 4 stroke yamaha

140 4 stroke suzuki/johnson

150 2 stroke EFI yamaha

150 2 stroke HPDI yamaha

I am really most interested in one of yamaha's 150 engines. Is it with the extra money for the HPDI? What are the benefits? The sales rep at the dealership said that the HPDI has all the required features to meet the 2006 federal requirements but it also had more parts to go wrong and could possibly be more to maintain/fix in the future, is this true?

Any help is appreciated.

5 answers to this question

Seabass,

I've had a 2002 V-max 150 HPDI for about a year now and I can't say enough good about it. This is the third outboard I've owned in this "category" (others were Merc and OMC EFI's) and the HPDI has them all beat.

Instant, and I mean instant starting in all weather. Honestly, I'm not sure how to choke the thing, I've never had to. Great on gas and oil usage also.

I've got mine on a 1775 Pro-V and she screams. I'm hoping to take her out on Leech for one of the last runs of the year this Saturday, weather permitting.

Make sure you get it propped with a stainless, major performance difference.

Good luck.

I have the same boat you are looking at for sale right now. If you are looking for performance, go with the 150 2 stroke either in the EFI or HPDI. The HPDI will give you better gas mileage. I personally wouldn't trade my 150 EFI for anything. Runs great, very reliable.

You can email me if you want the details about 1800 fisherman I am selling. Scott Steil

[email protected]

Forget about anything under a 150. I have the same boat with a 140 Johnson that I moved from my old boat. Granted the motor is a '84 and runs pretty strong, but it still lacks the jump for getting out of the hole (seems to cavitate easily also). I was hoping I could save the $$ on a new motor, but it looks like I will have to spend it anyway in the near future. In short, it's a big boat, don't under HP it!

Now Now, Theres no need to get all horse power happy. My old man has a 125 merc pushing the 1800 fisherman. Trim it up just right and she'll do 40. Although my choice motor is not on the ballot, I'll give the hpdi a vote.

Kudos to your old mans 125. Mine will only get to 40 under ideal conditions and only me in the boat. Maybe it makes a difference if his motor is newer than mine (i.e. rated at the prop, not the head). All I know after owning one is I wouldn't put anything less than a 150 on it (again).