• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Another Basic Quick Question

MNMike

So, I just put the finishing touches on my first spear shack (~6'x 8') and I am real excited to get it out on the ice this year. This house was built for angling but I put a whole new floor down with a 32" x 36" hole in it and I'm wondering how you all handle getting the house out of the ice at the end of the year. This house is built on two big skids and has a steel frame connecting the skids which I'll use to tow it out on the ice with my four-wheeler, but I'm just a tad conerned that the skids and frame might become buried with the freezing/thawing that occurs out on the ice. Is there any easy way to remove the house without having to jerk it free at the end of the year?

Thanks for any advice.

This house is kinda heavy, so I guess I just bring along a jack and jack it up and thrown down a couple chunks of 2"x4"s on each corner then? I'm just worried about light getting in from under the house but hopefully there is enough snow to pile up around to keep the light out.

if you use big enough boards to have it up off the ice, and then bank it with snow and ice that you get from cutting the hole, you will be fine.

This way when it comes time to taken it off, you will not wreck your house, just the boards when you take them out.

Another thing I like to do when Im done for the year is dig the snow from around the house and let the hole freeze up for a day or two then remove the house. Always make sure you keep it blocked up. You may have to do this a few times during the winter depending on the amount of snow and water on the ice you get around your house. You don't want to have to chisel a house out of the ice. I always keep extra blocks in the house just in case.

Have fun with the new house.