• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cooking in a wheelhouse with this?

hoggs222

s7_518463_imageset_01.jpg

Anybody ever use one of these for icefishing? Are they safe to use inside? I'm asking this because they run off of a 1# propane tank and only gets up to 400 degrees. I don't think that it would get over a few hundred degrees on the ice.

They sell them at cabelas for $219. I'm wondering if there's any other options, as I don't have a whole lot of extra room in the fish house to mount a permanent oven/cooktop.

well if you don't need the oven i have a colman 2 burner stove and really like it i would bet it would get pretty hot ....you know it would be in the ice house so it should not matter how cold it is out side should not effect it as long as your fish house is warm

I would like to have the oven to cook a pizza, well, at least 1/2 pizza at a time. It's not very big, I don't even think I could get a Totino's party pizza in there.

I was wondering if these would be safe to use in the fish house.

How long do you think the oven would run at 300-350 degrees on 1 lb of propane?

Here is the description that's on the HSOforum:

This Camp Oven has just what every camp needs to enjoy superior eating in the outdoors – compact size, portability and raw cooking power. Don't let its compact size fool you. The Outdoor Camp Oven features more than 14,000 total BTU of cooking energy. Twin burners and a spacious oven have plenty of power to get your cooking/baking done the way you like it, right there in camp. The unit uses a disposable 1-lb. propane tank, or it can be adapted to use a 20-lb. tank for increased cooking time. The range's dual burners put out a whopping 5,300 BTU per burner. The oven heats at 3,500 BTU per hour with a maximum temperature of 400°F. Two oven racks allow you to cook your main meal and dessert at once. An oven thermometer helps keep heat constant and monitors your meal's cooking progress. The matchless burner igniters mean you won't have to fumble for a lighter or matches while in the field. The stove's folding lid and carry handles were designed with portability in mind, so it's easy to get into and out of camp. Stainless steel construction resists corrosion for years of cooking without problems. Nonstick enamel cooking surface makes cleaning swift and easy with just soap and water.

Top burner dimensions: 12" x 21".

Oven dimensions: 16"W x 10"H x 10"L.

Weight: 35 lbs.

I use one and love it! been using it now for 3 years. mine usually only gets to about 300 degrees, but it still works good. some things you have to wait for, but a frozen pizza is done in about 30 minutes. i also cook the pre-made lasagnas like stoffers and i will leave it cook on the lowest i can set in, and go fishing for the day in the portables, and come back 6 hours later and food is ready! not the safest way, but it has worked well. do what you think is safe, but i would recommend it.

I ran copper pipe from my main lines in the fish house and runn it off the 20 lbsers on the front of the shack. othewise i use it car camping in the summer and i use the 20 lbser then too.

the standard jacks pizza's fit in it, with just a little bending. when i close the door, the pizza bends up. one problem i have is that the oven grate has wide spacing, and sometimes the pizza sags in the spaces, and then cheese and grease drips down. just be careful of that

You can get a simple converter fitting that will allow you to hook right to your 20LB tank rubber hose, just like a BarBQ Grill...make sure you have a regulator in between...

The 20LB tank should give a little better performance too...and last a whole lot longer...

It should be as safe as running your stove//oven at home...as long as the flame is more Blue than Yellow...otherwise you can get Soot and more Carbon Dioxide...

Any tight house should have a Battery Operated Digital CO Detector...

I use a Coleman InstaStart™ Camp Oven for pizza's in the ice house. I hook it up to the 1lb bottle, and have made 10 plus pizzas in one outing (No, not just for myself). I just buy the smaller personal size frozen pizza, and once the oven is heated up, can make 1 in about 15 minutes. Sorry don't know how to attach a picture, but if you go to the coleman site you will find it. Cost about $110.00.

Folke

Hoggs222, I have exactly that stove/oven in my wheelhouse and it's GREAT!! I did convert mine to run off the bulk tank though. I like the oven feature for baking hotdishes that I prepared at home, etc. Takes the 'guesswork' out of mealtime grin Phred52

I had that unit in my old fish house, it worked great! Mine too was plumbed in off of the main house cylinders.

Pizza rolls, Pizzas, Mozarella sticks, jalapeno poppers, cheesy potatoes, french fries... We made everything under the sun in there!! All healthy of course...