• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fluorocarbon leaders for pike

Cast Master

Anybody use fluorocarbon leaders when ice fishing for pike? If so, what pound test do you use? Any other comments about how they compare to wire leaders would also be welcome.

As a side note, I fish for pike in the metro area. I'm not out chasing those huge canadian monsters (though it would be fun).

I use a wire leaders when going for pike. They don't have much a life to them as they can get bent up, but I feel it's a lot safer.

I've had too many pike get away when I use a flurocarbon leader... then I feel bad knowing he's running around with all my gear stuck in his mouth.

All I use is Floro leaders. On Red I am dealing with some tanker fish and 3+ feet of ice so I use 80 lb Gamma or Seagar. For smaller class of fish I would step down to a 50lb leader maybe even 40.

Years ago I went to floro leaders for pike, musky and my winter rigs and won't go back to kinked up wire. I have never lost a fish (EVER) due to leader failure. I have had lines break and hooks fail but never the floro.

All I use is floro as well and have never had one break. I only use 30-40 lb. The reason I use floro is because sometimes I will get the bonus walleye. Using a steel leader majority of the time walleyes wont touch it. Plus I feel I get twice as much action on the floro versus the steel leader.

MN Angler

jonny p

where can you get 80lb gamma line?

Actaully not sure, a rep sent me a big spool of it and I haven't used it up yet.

The Seagar (s/p?) I get from Thorne Bros.

I should also mention I am using some wire rigs with the Bigtooth tackle rigs, they have a good set-up that I think is going to work well for good hook ups and great hooking mortality rates.

Thanks for the info guys. Reading your comments has me thinking about using fluorocarbon to tie up a bunch of quick strike rigs this winter. One question though: If i knot the fluoro and then dab a drop of super glue on the knot, will I still need to crimp the tag end, or would the crimping be unneccessary? Would the super glue be unneccessary? I realize that these are just extra precautions against knot slippage, but are they something that a person really needs to do? Obviously, I can experiment this winter, but figured someone on this board could steer me in the right direction.