• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

looking for best muzzleloader opinions

Dahitman44

I am looking at selling my TC to a buddy and getting a new one for muzzle loading this year.

I am wondering what people think the best option is, in their opinion, and why.

I don't want price to be the factor -- just the best overall gun.

What is the easiest to clean and keep clean, shoot consistently etc.

Thanks and all opinions are welcomed

Hitman

Savage 10ML-II is the easiest to keep clean when using smokeless powder. You can leave it for weeks or months with no ill effects from powder residue corrosion if you use smokeless powder. With no black powder fouling build up you get consistant shot to shot accuracy. With the accutrigger on the new guns you get a real nice accurate muzzloader. One real nice thing about the noncorrosive powder is you can empty your gun after each day by firing it and load a fresh powder charge each day, and not have to clean it. No more excuses for a misfire due to leaving the powder in too long.

The law prohibiting smokeless powder was repealed this year.

If your muzzleloader is not marked as rated for smokeless powder, DO NOT USE IT.

I currently shoot an Omega and love it. If I was buying now though my first choice would be the Pro-Hunter and my second choice the Triumph and then the Omega. I firmly believe T/C is best when it comes to smokepoles. I had a CVA which was OK and my son has an Optima now, but they are definitely a lower end unit than a T/C.

I have a CVA Kodiak and love it. Not sure that there are alot of parts though...remove the breach plug and clean the barrel. Pretty simple. 2 set screws and the barrel is off too. Shoots accurate and is very reasonably priced.

I also have a T/C Encore. Love it and would not use any thing else.

If money is not a issue I would get the T/C Encore Prohunter.

Eazy to clean, shoots well, Eazy to unload, and you can get other barrles for it.

I love the single shot set up. It puts a new challange in hunting.

I am definitely a muzzleloader novice. Just purchased a CVA Accura last week for $379. It has a special Bergera barrel that is guaranteed to be accurate. I have put three shots through it so far at 50 yards and other than adjusting the open sights the wrong direction on the third my shots were all no more than an inch and a half apart. I was pleasantly surprised to say the least. I was using Triple 7 pellets and the bullets that came in the CVA kit. Cleaning on the gun doesn't seem overly difficult either. The breech plug is easy to remove and as mentioned earlier 1 screw to remove the barrel. I got the black with Stainless barrel. Just couldn't spend the extra coin the T/C's seemed to be.

From another thread:

I bought a Remington Genesis Muzzleloader. Its not a bad gun, made by a good manufacturer, and has price tag right now of about $200. It is easy to clean and is really accurate, feels nice when I pull it up too. However, I think Remington is not going to make these anymore, even though they are still on their HSOforum. The prices of these guns have been basically cut in half, they must not be competing with the TC and everybody else. But if you want a good gun, and don't want to spend a lot of money, I would at least look at it.