• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

P-line vs Gamma?

Cast Master

Will someone please explain the differences/pros and cons of these two lines. I honestly don't know much about them, but see that a lot of people are using one or the other for ice fishing. I have always just spooled up my ice rods with my "left over" Berkley line from the open water season, but feel like I can do better. How do the underwater visibilities compare? How about stiffness? Are these two line types good all around, or do they have specific applications in which they shine best. Best for pannies and walleyes, or can they be used equally well on my pike jigging rods?

Any info and/or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Both lines are very good. I am not sure how P-line is made, but I can tell you a little more about Gamma(I am on the ProStaff)

Once the line is Extruded(how fishing lines are made) The company runs the product through Gamma Radiation, hence the name. This alters the chemical make up of the line creating more areas to bond, which allows the line to be more limp, yet keep its strength.

I cant say anything bad about p-line its a great line, but I have been more impressed with Gamma than I have with any other line in my life.

Gamma's a polyfiliment, which is closer to mono than anything else, the difference is that poly means many, whereas mono means one, and filiment is self-explanatory.

Gamma is much limper than flourocarbon, so ease of tying would be easier, but with such light line you might not notice.

I don't know the difference of the two but I have used Sufix. 3lb is all I use and I love the stuff. Never had a break off from fish unless I didn't retie which is my fault. There 1 and 2 pound is not for me. Doesn't pass my tests but you may like it. It's a strong and but limp line.

Deitz

Is Gamma a monofiliment line that is then treated with this process or floro?

What about knot strength/ease of tying?

RR, Gamma is a copoly(most lines these days are), Gamma Edge is 100% florocarbon...

as far as your knot strength question. That is one of Gammas best selling points.. Far superior knot strength.

People could say I only say these things because I am on their staff.. But I truly believe in the stuff! Best line I have ever used.

P-Line FlouroIce is a line I use a lot. Flourocarbon means invisible under water, minimal stretch so easier to detect lite bites, and stiffer. Maybe a little touchier to get good knots tied.

Gamma is a copoly, a blend of line types, with the best characteristics of each. Limp, easy to handle, easy to tie good knots, low visibiility under water. Whether open water fishing or ice fishing, I don't use much mono any more, I use Gamma copoly instead of mono.

There are a few lines and flouros that I've tried on my gear that I absolutely hated ..... and I mean hated. LIne jumping off the spool, line twisting and coiling, bad knots, too stiff to get good lure action or bite detection, etc. But I absolutely love ..... and I mean love ..... fishing with P-Line and Gamma.

I was fortunate to get a chance to run some of the new Gamma lines as they first hit the market some years back now, and I was skeptical it was anything really "New"...but it proved to me quickly it was most certainly a superior new concept in line, and held up very well to serious use.

The Gamma Polar ESP Ice line is amazing user friendly stuff. On ice reels that I do run mono, it is Gamma ESP Ice for sure. I use a lot of Power Pro Ice line too, and as needed I run a Gamma leader. They work very well together.

That's the real beauty of the Gamma Polar Ice ESP, it is flexible in the cold.

Pure 100% fluorocarbon does not play well in the cold, just too densely made. Makes reasonable leeder material but you get better fluidity of lure action with the ESP.

gman, All lines will stiffen up. Thats all there is to it. The lighter the lb test the less it seems to get stiff. Braid lines will be worse yet as they will absorb some water.

I dont fish in a fish house all that often, if the conditions allow, I much prefer to be mobile and moving which leaves me outside much of the time. I use 3 lb test for crappies and gills.. 4 for much of my walleye fishing, 6 lb on a few if fishing a lake that has larger fish(mille lacs, LOW).. I use Gamma and dont feel that the line is too stiff... just my opinion.

Thanks for the added info guys, I will be picking up some of both to try out this year!

One more question, does anyone prefer using floro when fishing light jigs in deep water? I know that the line is heavier than mono and will sink, but does it help (much) to get the jigs down faster?

RR56- That about the only rod I have Floro on..I have quitea few UL panfish rods as that is my main target specie in the winter.. I have many with regular 2 and 3 lb copoly.. but I do have a couple with 3 lb floro, for getting ultra light jigs down in deeper water, thelure also has a different action that at times seems to help. Got to be careful when tieing the knot with Floro though, and Floro is much more expensive too.

A lot of flourocarbon lines out there are copolymer lines - two or more materials in a monofilament line. Most of the time it's a flourocarbon coating over nylon. Only recently (excluding leaders) did floro lines come out with pure 100% flourocarbon lines. Flourocarbon line was just too stiff for spooling.

I used Yozuri Hybrid last year and will use it again this year. It's quite stiff and coils off the spool when it gets cold. But it's also very water repellent so outside fishing, is awesome with it. I will compare P-line flouroice this year.

In general floro material is more stiff compare to nylon material. When you get down to 2# line, maybe the more stiff line will be more beneficial at times.