• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Arctic Armor......Is it worth the money?

Mike Stark

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For extra warmth in the wind tieghten the draw strings to keep the wind from entering the jacket from the bottom? I just got mine this year, anytime I have worn mine in the wind, I was more then warm.

I would also not call buying an Arctic Armor suit a "substantial investment", but more as an economical life saving investment. Now if it where $600-$1000 like other suits that do not even float you, it would be different, but still I would think for that little of money and having a major "life saving" features would still put AA in the very economical category wink.

I wore mine out this morning cleaning the driveway. I know it was not below 0, but I stayed very warm and very comfortable. smile

I just purchased the suit at the Show and tried it out on Saturday night. I also felt that it was getting a little drafty up my back, of course I hadn't realized that there were draw strings to fix the problem. I've been using the jacket the last couple days and it does seem to be warm. I'm sure with a t shirt and hoodie underneath I'll be as warm as I'll ever need to be.

I think the problem some people are having is that they get Too warm and sweat a bunch and then sit still. I have found that if I am too active I will take off the jacket and open up the bibs till I am ready to sit and even then I will wait till I cool down before zipping everything up. I sat outside taking pictures yesterday and it was 0 and windy and never even got chilled but I only sat for 2 hours and that really is not a real good test. I always adjust the draw strings inside the jacket and wear the hood with a light stocking hat.

I think the problem some people are having is that they get Too warm and sweat a bunch and then sit still. I have found that if I am too active I will take off the jacket and open up the bibs till I am ready to sit and even then I will wait till I cool down before zipping everything up. I sat outside taking pictures yesterday and it was 0 and windy and never even got chilled but I only sat for 2 hours and that really is not a real good test. I always adjust the draw strings inside the jacket and wear the hood with a light stocking hat.

Thats the only thing i'm concerned about. The first reason I got them was in case I fall through. So it aint going to help if it aint on while walking from the truck to your spot, which sometimes can be a loooong way. So I guess the trick will be to keep unzipped, unflapped, and as lite as possible undernieth till ya get out there. It was cold and very windy yesterday here and I got to break mine in snowblowing and fartin around the barn and I about soaked my sack off.

Not to much when one drowns and ones family is left without their family member though.

Its kind of like people I see racing and go with a cheap fire suit, when they have a fire and get burnt badly, they then wish they would have purchased a better suit to maybe have saved a limb.

is it cold in the back with the hood up???

and remember cotton kills!!!!

if cotton gets wet...ie..from sweat...it will not dry quickly and looses all heating qualitys.

synthetic material is the way to go in the winter

fleece and nylon....drys fast...and still retains some of its heating qualities when wet

just a little tid bit

A guy who just bought a set of Arctic Armor from me passed this tidbit my way ..... his new set of Arctic Armor weighs less than 6 lbs, his old set of Ice Armor weighs almost 9 lbs. That's a great example of what we mean when we say Arctic Armor is lightweight and not bulky.

I was very happy with my Ice Armor. I do believe that there is more for pockets but I just cannot say for sure. The red & black Arctic Armor suit does offer a little sheep skin type material above the one pocket where one could hang smaller jigs there. I don't believe one can close the wrist area as well as the Arctic Armor.

Now, the suit weighs less and yes, it floats.

I cannot remember all the items on the Ice Armor but here are a few things that make the Arctic Armor suit stand out.

3 layers of INSULTEX™ Insulation

Neck Flap to Block Wind

Adjustable Hood

Two Way Zipper with Snaps

NeoPrene Cuff With Velcro Adjuster

Toggles & Bungee For Tightening

Four D-Rings for Hanging Things

Four Large Cargo Pockets With Snaps

Lined Hand Warmer Pockets

Two Lined-Zipper Pockets

I would say mine took about a week or a couple days more. They have to go and get the HSO crest put on them and then they come to you from their.

IMO, it was worth the wait! smile

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

I believe it's a day or two to put the HotSpotOutdoors logo on it and a day or two for it to get to you once shipped. So 2 to 5 business days.

The season of 2009-2010 should be even faster as the logos will be on already.

I have have a set of AA camo and have noticed cold coming through on my back on several ocassions. (IMHO)I do believe the AA is a bit overated as supposed to be equivlent to 600 grams of thinsulate. Each layer is supposed to the equivilent to 200 grams of thinsualte. My AA has three layers.

Twice I have had to revert back to my 500 gram thinsulate coat to stay warm while hunting. This is stand hunting with temps in the low teens and not moving around.

I tried an objective test by walking 300 yards down to the mail box in AA and doing the same test a half hour later in my thinsulate coat. The temp was 12 degrees and the wind was out of the NW at 20 MPH. The undergarment was a light cotton shirt

Walking north with the AA I could feel a coolness on my left arm and left front shoulder on the way back the same coolness on my right arm and shoulder.

I did not experience the coolness with the 500 gram thinsulate coat doing the same test.

I still like the AA coat but do believe it has its limitations as cold weather gear.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Hi Bob,

Not sure what happened with you and why.

I've done the same test on even colder days and it's been toasty warm for me compared to 500 gram thinsulate which is also much heavier and bulkier.

Arctic Armor stacks right up with the 500 gram thinsulate keeping me warm, lighter, easier movement and comfortable.

i like my AA suit except for the fact that everytime i've worn it the buckle strap comes apart at the threads...my one leg no longer has a buckle strap at all and my other leg it's dangling...i must of got a dud...recommended one to a buddy and we went out yesterday and today and neither of his came apart yet.

i just got back from the ice...it was in the upper teens then dropped down to about 10 degrees and i stood on the ice with no shack and didn't do any run n gunning...i had on just a pair of sweat pants, a tshirt, and a hoodie, no longjohns or anything and i stayed warm...got a little chilly after the sun went down but i was out there since 11 am.

everyone is different when it comes to the cold...i know personally i can handle cold better then alot of people so i can wear less underneath...someone like my buddy might need an extra layer.

i've yet to pull any of the bungee strings tight anywhere on the suit yet or wear the hood for anything more then just to check it out...i'd imagine if i put on an extra layer or two underneath and did that i could just about handle anything....on my drive home i was thinking to myself how it feels like i'm wearing a wind breaker jacket because how light it feels.

imo the thing that really sets it apart from anything else is it can float...thats huge to me for early and late season..i'll still use the same caution but what if i did fall through and stepped in the wrong spot at the wrong time...i like knowing i have a real good chance of getting out and surviving instead of sinking like a rock.

like right now the ice is kinda "iffy" in some spots..i could step in the wrong spot...it could happen to anyone.

my buddy who is a cold baby actually stayed out there the whole time and didn't whine about being cold so thats a miracle lol...not sure how he dressed underneath.

I agree with Shack, I would contact IDI and I'm sure they would work it out to fix the straps. This is the second year on my suit and have had no issues with straps. I do like that it floats and that was a main cause for me to buy it. It's a very warm suit for me, but if I hit the wind just right I will get a chill. I haven't used any of the draw strings though so I'm assuming it's my own fault.

yeah i'm sure they will get them fixed for me, but it shouldn't happen the first time i wear it, then the 2nd, then the 3rd, lol.

i have fishing to do thats why i bought the suit...i don't have time to send it in and wait or make the over an hour drive to where i bought it...especially if its common which i don't know so i was waiting to see if my buddies did it...i don't feel like going through the hassle if it just happens again.

i know blank happens but why does it always have to happen to me lol?

Tonight was a great test for the Arctic Armor suit on Upper Red. Nine mile sled ride, drilled holes and hole hopped/kneeled on flooding ice for six hours and then a nine mile ride back across the lake in 10 degree weather. I stayed warm and comfy the entire time, used to be the ride back would do me in.

Tonight was a great test for the AA suit on Upper Red. Nine mile sled ride, drilled holes and hole hopped/kneeled on flooding ice for six hours and then a nine mile ride back across the lake in 10 degree weather. I stayed warm and comfy the entire time, used to be the ride back would do me in.

Nine miles huh, now we know where the fish are biting wink