• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Arctic Armor......Is it worth the money?

Mike Stark

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe Rick will know as I got my first Artic Armor suit from HSO and I still wear it guiding. Has to be at least four or five years now, granted it is a bit dirty and stained from daily use around plow trucks, repairing fishouse furnaces and all the little adventures that happen on the lake but it is still dry and warm.

When it came time to get a "not so dirty" suit I didn't even think about anything but Artic Armor and love the fact that not only is it warm but it may also save my life.

I've had the XL camo AA for 4 or 5 years now and use it from Fall till Spring.

At 6" 195 lbs the XL is a little roomy with no layers underneath. With layers it is just right and no issues with freedom of movement. Couple that with a suit that is very light is a plus. I use fleece as my layers because of its insulating factor and because it too is light weight. If I'm in very cold temps with little activity I will need to layer to stay warm. Because of the no restriction from the suit and layers, it still feels like I'm wearing pajamas.

From what I've observed the camo came out with two different types of fabric.

Mine has is more reddish/orange tints as time went on.

Hopefully they don't use that tinted fabric any longer.

I choose the camo because I knew I'd be using it for duck hunting too.

Having a floating suit while setting out and picking up a pile of decoys from a small boat was reassuring.

The camo suit on the ice works well. When I hole hope all I have is my rod and maybe an ice scoop. I plop down with wind to my back and knees on the ice. The insultex keeps my knees warm but the fabric of the suit will have snow/slush built up.

For that reason if your using AA strictly for ice fishing I'd get the Red, Black, or Green Plus suit.

I bought my son the AA Green Plus suit in Large. He is 6'1" 165 lbs. The length is fine and he has some room for layers.

I can wear it if I don't need layers otherwise it would be too tight.

Hope that helps on sizing.

Both suits have been durable but I'd imagine they'd rip if we snagged them on something.

So far we haven't burnt them on the heaters or from campfires.

An improvement or addition to the AA would be in the camo shell.

Its soft which makes it silent in the brush but I don't think many are using the AA while stocking deer. Not when your required to wear blaze orange plus you'd be working up a sweat with just a little activity.

Change that to a camo shell made from the same shell as the other AA suits.

I am a warm blooded guy and most of my fishing is run and gun. I need a light weight suit for the coming season and am trying to decide if AA will be warm enough.

Thoughts?

It sounds like you will be plenty warm in an AA suit.

I am a warm blooded guy and most of my fishing is run and gun. I need a light weight suit for the coming season and am trying to decide if AA will be warm enough.

Thoughts?

if you are warm blooded you will not be cold in the AA suit. I rarely wear the jacekt and bibs as its too warm for me and then I sweat which isn't good. I'll put on the jacket the most when moving from spot to spot on the sled or if I run out of gas in the heater (portable)but thats about it. Wish the bibs had more pockets...

Arctic Armor Page - Click Here to Order.

Thoughts?

Arctic Armor is warm enough and light. I would worry about sweating too much and being uncomfortable in that way.

They are so light you'd think they wouldn't keep you warm...BUT Arctic Armor definitely keeps me plenty warm out on the ice.

Even on colder mornings I often have to un-zip the jacket if I'm drilling holes or moving the fish house because it can be warm enough to work up a sweat.

Sometimes it's so light and comfortable you forget you have it on.

Good stuff.

I ordered a set of AA on Nov. 29 from HSO, Haven't heard a word about when I'll get it. Pay Pal has paid them but I can't get anyone to answer the phone at HSO. Is this common when doing business with them ?

I thought I saw AA had a black/gold suit now too. I was wondering about that one, any thoughts? I also seem to see I must be in an iffy size 6' 195 since I see both L and XL being recommended.

When it comes to cold weather clothes always error on the bigger side. Tight clothes are cold and bigger clothes you can wear layers