• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deer Stand Windows

bigbluepirahna

After the long, windy, cold deer season this year, our group is going to build a couple box stands with windows and some heaters. Right now we all use homemade conduit ladder stands with open tops, but they do have walls.

We do have one box stand on our land with windows, but the problem is when you turn on the heater the windows get condensation and fog up. We are using sunflower heaters, but I'm assuming a mr. buddy heater would do the same thing.

Anyone have suggestions on what to do to stop them from fogging up? Different windows, vents, holes in them, etc.

Thanks...

I have the same problem, used the Big Buddy with the built-in fan this year. Didn't have as much of a problem with fogging as I do just using the sun flower. I just went and bought a battery powered fan and am going to try that. I really think blowing the heat across the window with the portable fan should take care of the problem-hopefully.

Doesn't the heater give off a lot of moisture when burning the propane? I know natural gas does that. Perhaps the solution is putting some sort of stack in to vent the exhaust - it may even prevent you from rolling over from carbon monoxide. Tough on the crew if they have to work the handles to get you home.

Tom 7227 is right moisture is given off burning gas,But try taking shaving creme apply it to the windows then wipe it off,It'll clean the windows and stop condensation.TRY IT>

Try it at home in your shower it'll make a believer out of ya. cool

Using a propane heater is adding moister.

Your breath and body is adding moister as well.

The moister is hitting the cold glass on the window and condensing.

Might be overkill for a stand but an insulated window will stop the moister from condensing. There are some lower end units that are fairly cheap. Or you can use a clear window wrap on the single pane window but that isn't going to be as clear as 2 panes of glass. Note that when you first add heat/moister to the stand the glass will be cold and you will get moister condensing till the glass had had a chance to warm up.

Venting will help, more importantly its adding fresh air into a heated and enclosed small space.

Now say you've gotten rid of the moister from condensing on cold glass. At some point you'll open the window. Expect some condensing again.

Applying a film as sparcbag suggested will also help.

I hunt on private land and thought about a enclosed stand. I've thought about the moister problem with windows fogging. Something else though, you can't hear. I rely on sound just as much as sight. In thick woods even more so. If I was over looking a field then of coarse I'm using sight. If I ever do make that enclosed stand it won't have windows.

If you just made the openings a bit smaller, you could sit in a corner of the stand and stay out of the wind coming in, but still see and hear outside. It doesn't take that big of a hole to see, hear and shoot out of.

I've hunted out of a small enclosed blind for 2 seasons now. It has plexiglass windows.

The windows will always fog up when you start the heater, especially in the mornings. Once the temperature rises inside the blind the fogging is greatly reduced, but I always leave one of the windows cracked or completely open on the non-wind side....that really helps eliminate the fogging issue.

I run a Mr. Buddy heater, and I wouldn't run anything else in an enclosed space.

I use to hunt my own private land back in Michigan. Now that I live in Minnesota and hunt public I can't do this but, this is what we do back home.

We don't use glass or plexi of any sort for the fogging reason. We frame in two pieces of plywood with grooves cut into the frame so they can slide back and forth. You slide them in opposite directions so you can make the opening as small or as large as you need. Typically I have had no problems being able to hear deer movement while the windows are open. This also allows me to have the windows closed in the morning while it is still dark and have a light on for changing clothes, reading, or whatever else I may need to do.

I have two enclosed stands that myself and my two kids use. Both have plexiglass windows with one having a hinge to flip them open and the other you actually need to insert them as an option. Honest truth is I open all of the windows that I think are going to be needed and the heater just needs to run a little higher.

Used a Big Buddy in the bigger one this year and once the fan quieted down it really helped move the heat and I'm sure it would have helped on the moisture.

Windows up over night if possible to keep the snow and critters out and then open all day for shooting.

hey swill, this site isn't meant for bad mouthing. piranha has a valuable point. he didn't say that he preferred to use the windows as any real hunter will agree, hearing is just a good as seeing, but on those late muzzle loading days when it's cold as heck and the wind blowing, i'd rather be in the stand than in the camper. i'd suggest some sort of a slider window that can be slid down in stages, allowing some air to enter, yet keeping some protection inside the stand. the window can then be slid all the way open for those tolerable days.