• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

hand gun for deer hunting

knoppers

Question

I started looking for a hand gun to mostly use for deer hunting, and some target shooting. I was looking at a ruger revolver .44 mag with a 7 inch barrel. the ruger has the grooves already in the gun to mount a scope. what does anyone think of this pistol, or is there something better?

11 answers to this question

I've been thinking about getting another hand-cannon for deer hunting. The one that's sparked my interest the most is the .460 magnum.

If I don't go that route, I will look into a hi-power in a T/C Contender. Either a .243 or a 7mm-08 again.

I have not heard about the .46 mag, who makes this? and why would you get that one?

I think the barrel on the ruger I was looking at is actually 7.5 inches long, or 9.5. its the super redhawk.

Most any gun store will carry the .460 Mag. I think it's a S&W.

I haven't had the opportunity to shoot one yet, but have heard they kick less than a .44 Mag but with more power. Like I said, I haven't tried one yet to know if it's true.

The downfall of the .460 is the cost of the ammo. I think they're about a $1.50 per round.

I should also add that I also used to have a Lone Eagle chambered in 7mm-08. Once I had that sighted in, I put 3 out 5 rounds into an area the size of a dime at 100 yards. Hearing protection is an ABSOLUTE MUST!!!!!!!

They claim the Hi-Power handguns are good to 200 yards. I would actually trust one of these before I would trust anything smaller than the .460 Mag. But that's just my preference.

Magnum Research no longer makes the Lone Eagle as far as I know.

You may already know this, but Hi-Power handguns are legal state wide.

I've got a Thompson Contender that has changeable barrels. I use a 4/10 for grouse and a 357 cal for deer. I've shot 3 deer with it. I believe that you can also get a 30/30 barrel. IMO the chance for success with a pistol when bait is used. I don't use bait in MN so no moral outrage is required.

If you're thinking about the Ruger KS-47NHB (.44mag Bisley Hunter, comes with scope rings) then that would be a fine choice. I use to hunt deer with a S&W 686 .357 with a scope and it was fine for the range I liked to use (50 yrd or less), going longer (up to 100 yrd) a .44mag would be a great choice and that Ruger is designed for it.

I think the most popular choice is the .44mag, or larger. The .460 is truely the "most powerfull handgun" in the world. The "X" fram for the .500 smith was actualy designed and built for the .460. But the ammo was not available so the .500 was released first.

I personaly use a .357 with a 6.5" barrel. Keep my shots to 35 yards or less, and shoot enough to know my gun and how it shoots.

I would like to get a 30-30 contender for my father though. That would be a great deer gun.

I just bought an Super Redhawk in this caliber. I love it. I got the 7.5" barrel since I may put a scope on it in the future. If you are not thinking about a scope the 9.5" barrel may be the way you want to go. It gives you a longer sight plane. I found a barely used one off a online webiste, and had it transfered. It was easy as pie.

I personally carry a .357 6 in. just for up close shots. I think that it really matters what ammo you use too. Hornady Leveroution rounds realy make that gun a performer. With that round it holds trajectory and power out to 100 yards (similar power and fps to a .44 in any other bullet). However, I wouldn't shoot anything over 30 yards with it myself (that is what the .06 is for).

Anyway, those Thompson guns chambered in the hi power rifle rounds are probably the best bet if you want to reach out with it. They have a variety of rounds you can choose from.

I have the SuperRedhawk in .44 mag, and I have a red-dot scope on it for deer. There is no magnification on the scope which is pretty cool. I got to the point where you keep both eyes open looking at the landscape (and deer) and the red dot just shows up in your view. Then gently squeeze the trigger and fire up the grill. I think it's a great combination.

The biggest challenge was finding the scope with the right diameter to use with the Ruger supplied rings.