Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dave S

What will it be?

25 posts in this topic

Over the years, ATVs have received a major change from the first Honda ATC 3 wheeler and the Suzuki LT125 4x6.

All of the major manufacturers have added EFI to at least a couple models in their lineup. All have 4x4 systems of various degrees. Only Kawasaki, Can Am and Arctic Cat have yet to add power steering to their machines.

My question is, what do you think will be the next big thing in the ATV industry as far as "New Technology" will be?

I think it will be ride comfort, ease of accessories, and fuel mileage. Other than that, I think the sidebysides may take over a bigger part of the market.

Polaris and Arctic Cat have a good start on their rack systems. I'm surprised more haven't done anything similar.

My guess is we might see a "Fly By Wire". No throttle cables. Throttle control will be electronically controlled.

ABS and stability control are on their way too.

I'd like to see the ability to choose the options such as you have when ordering a new car/truck. That way you don't have to pay for power steering, ABS, etc. if you don't want it. The price of these machines is getting out of hand in their effort to out-do the next guy. Although it is neat what they are doing with them it is just an ATV after all, and the simpler the better, IMO. It's not a car.

Both Polaris and Yamaha have the option of power steering or not. Polaris added it just for the reason you mentioned. It's just a marketing thing to say they offer it.

For other upgrades...that is the reason they all offer smaller models with less features.

I wish that Kawi made a true Sport model of the Teryx and not a revised version of the original.

Supposedly Canned Ham is coming out with a SxS too. I heard of this back in '07 that it was going to be a '09 model.

I know Suzuki is now offering EPS, but I'm not 100% certain that you have a choice of the same machine with/without.

that is the reason they all offer smaller models with less features.

This is what I'm talking about. If someone doesn't care for all the bells and whistles they have to get a smaller machine. That isn't right. Why can't someone buy a 700-800cc machine without the rest of the garbage instead of getting "pushed" down to the 400-500cc units?

If you go buy a new truck you can get the exact same model decked out with leather, etc. or one with cloth seats and plain wheels, yet it's still a 4x4 ext cab and the same motor as the one with leather.

This is why I'd like to see a more choices within the specific models.

I guess my request doesn't fit into "new technology" as asked in the original post, but that's what I'd like to see come down the line in the future although I know it'll never happen. I just wonder where this will end as far as pricing? It's getting a little out of hand, IMO.

I see your point. Polaris offered that in the past with the deluxe models. It just hurts sales. Everyone wanted the deluxe model. With CanAm, everyone wants the XT model.

maybe with the economy in the tank, this might be something that could happen to keep some sales going.

I find it hard to believe that someone will be dropping $10K for a new Can Am or Arctic Cat nowadays. That's almost a new car that gets better gas mileage than most of the large bore ATVs.

Does any maker have built in GPS yet? If not, I think that will be soon.

Honda and CanAm have GPS, but I think the aftermarket GPS units are a little better.

I guess what miff's me is that I went to look at the new Yamaha 550 and the only way to get the special edition is with power steering. But that's not all. Right now this 2009 model costs almost as much as the 700 2008 holdover, and almost $1000 more than what I paid for my '06 660!

I wouldn't mind trading down to a 550 w/o the PS, but I think I'll wait until the 2009's drop in price this spring/summer and then look again. The dealer said he's been trying to order more of them w/o the PS due to the economy and that it's more of a frill than anything....a $600-$800 frill that people may not opt for right now.

I agree LMITOUT. People would just like to get into a new machine in general and have no need for all of the extra goodies. 4-wheeled ATVs have been around for 25 years and for the most part, we've done ok without the EFI and EPS.

yep I think stuff like eps and gps and other things should be a option, I think storage will be big thing coming up and rack attachments will be also.

I think they may start advertising fuel economy. I know with gas prices back down around normal that it may not be as big of a deal, but there has been a huge push to go "green." That's one of the reasons I bought a Rincon, gets 25 mpg which is a lot easier to handle than the 10-11 I got with my Brute Force.

I'm not sure when it will happen, but I bet companies slowly start coming out with added safety features. I know that some of the big players are already lobbying on congress to get the Chinese manufacturers up to par with quality issues.

What well be next? Nothing. I mean you'll still see new models comeing out. But I think we've hit the top from engine size, and have all the bells and whistles. I think SXS are lame(unless you use them for work), but thats just my opionion. I think the big thing years down the road is going to be weight. We will probably see lighter machines coming out. ABS? give me a break I would never by a machine with ABS.

I think we'll start seeing more special edition models like the mud pro or the browning edition. An atv already set up for a certain style of riding. I'd like to see a trail edition with bighorns and elkas. Maybe items like a cold weather package or a hunting/fishing packages being offered factory installed. As far as technology goes I have no idea what might be in store. One can only think that atv's will go the way of the automobile. Like what LEP7mm was saying with the drive by wire control, abs, and ps coming sooner than later.

I'd like to see a trail edition with bighorns and elkas.

The Rzr S is close, but it's a side by side.

Im hoping for more specialized models such as the mud-pro with power steering. Or one with bighorns and good shocks.

I can see them doing much the same the snowmobile industry has done. Change power to weight ratios, a lot.

Many dudes want the power of an 800, but the size and weight of a 400. Cat, Yamaha, Polaris, Bombardier.......they all make sleds and in the early 80's or so started tweaking the power to weight ratios. I've got a feeling it's going to happen in the ATV industry soon. And this is just fine with me. I really like the small size of my 400 Big Bear, but I wish it had the power of an 800.

Just a hunch.

That's a good point. I don't like driving a tank around in the woods, and like the size of the Yamaha Kodiak (Grizzly) 450. I like the power of the 700's and up, but you have to suffer with the small trucklike size of the machine if you choose the bigger cc.