• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Strike Master???

minnesotamusky

The reason that i was told from a guy i know personaly that sells them says they discontinued it because they had too many problems with the blades falling off them! mostly the small blades i was told . but they are amaazing if you put them on a power head that has the power and rpm to move it fast!

I think Joel is probably a little closer to the truth on the demise of the 224. I was pretty lucky and got one for a steal when they first came out. I heard getting jammed in the ice was the problem with the laser triple that strikemaster had out?? Not sure. I imagine with twice the bolts, having a blade fall off would be twice as likely as a regular lazer model? I check mine frequently to make sure they are tight.

The 224 was a pretty nice auger. Mine was a little cold blooded the first couple of months - needed to be started on choke always, even after drilling 5 holes just minutes before and had to idle a good 2 minutes before it would cut without bogging down. It was a little frustrating, but now it runs like a top. Always starts on the first pull and is a fast cutter.

I just ordered a new set of blades. The originals still cut well when I put it away last March, just figured it was time to get a new set. I ice fish 3+ days a week and some days punch an obscene number of holes. I think I went through around 3 gallons of gas last year. The longer auger shaft is great, rarely need an extension.

More expensive to make, the 224 drill bit that is. And less sales is why this bit was discontinued. The 9 inch Lazer bit was also discontinued for the same reason. You will always be able to get replacement blades though, for both bits.

And, if your looking for one, there are still some left. Buy em now.