• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Waterfowl I.D. Help

This morning we dropped these 2 ducks, a thrird out of the group got away. I have no idea what these are. They look like they might be a sea duck of a sort, but I have looked at a bunch of websites and cannot figure out what these are.

100_0535.jpg

100_0536.jpg

100_0537.jpg

100_0540.jpg

Jeep guy. what ya could do in the offseason is study up on a few books so when shooting u can use proper id when pulling the trigger. I mean shoot n identify later is not the example to lead by. I mean if a loon came in,would ya take em ? Sorry just the Clancy in me coming out lol. f it blaze away at will! seasons a bust anyways

I'm in agreement with the last few posts, knowing your target is key.

Of course, when the season has been as rough as it is, and I can identify that it is at least a duck and not a closed species, i'd likely take the shot as well.

A good guide for me as been the NPWRC: Ducks at a Distance - A Waterfowl Identification Guide. You can find the publication free at some WMA posts, it's also available online: http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/birds/duckdist/index.htm

I'm not sure if the link works here, shoot me a message if it doesn't and i'll gladly send it to you.