Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jeepguy

Waterfowl I.D. Help

11 posts in this topic

This morning we dropped these 2 ducks, a thrird out of the group got away. I have no idea what these are. They look like they might be a sea duck of a sort, but I have looked at a bunch of websites and cannot figure out what these are.

100_0535.jpg

100_0536.jpg

100_0537.jpg

100_0540.jpg

Thanks, I have shot drakes before but never hens, cool too see a bird I have never seen before.

more like id first shot later come on lets be legit were losen our rights every second

Jeep guy. what ya could do in the offseason is study up on a few books so when shooting u can use proper id when pulling the trigger. I mean shoot n identify later is not the example to lead by. I mean if a loon came in,would ya take em ? Sorry just the Clancy in me coming out lol. f it blaze away at will! seasons a bust anyways

I'm in agreement with the last few posts, knowing your target is key.

Of course, when the season has been as rough as it is, and I can identify that it is at least a duck and not a closed species, i'd likely take the shot as well.

A good guide for me as been the NPWRC: Ducks at a Distance - A Waterfowl Identification Guide. You can find the publication free at some WMA posts, it's also available online: http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/birds/duckdist/index.htm

I'm not sure if the link works here, shoot me a message if it doesn't and i'll gladly send it to you.