• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

English Setter question

duckhook101

I've had a total of five English Setters through the years and is the only breed I would own. All the dogs I have had have been from field trial blood lines (Havelock, Good Going and Burnt Creek). I'm not getting any younger and will be needing to start a new dog soon, so am considering a dog with maybe a little less run in him. Just wondering if anyone has had experience with Ryman bred setters in general and dogs from Decoverly Kennels or Setters West in particular. Thanks

I think it will be hard to find a setter that doesn't run hard. But you should be able to find a setter that has a nice close range. What are you looking for when you say less run in him? It is natural for field trial bloodlines to run a little bigger but they can be brought in closer.

I have a dog of mostly Ryman breeding. I hunt him quite a bit with a friend and his GSP and my pup isn't nearly as big running as the GSP. As with most breeds some dogs bigger than others but the kennel I got him from is mostly all traditional Setter lines, no field trial lines. He's very much a Classic Setter with that great block head and good looks but he's not a big dog, 52-58 lbs depending on the time of year.

I've been to the DeCoverly Kennel and it's a great facility with some very nice dogs. I found dogs of similar qualities locally in Willmar and have been very happy. In fact I will get another pup from the same kennel next year. My dog, Haze, turned two a few months ago.

Haze is in his second season and is doing very well. In fact this year alone he's pointed woodcock, sharpatils, huns, ruffed grouse and pheasants. I'm sure you can find what you're looking if you continue to do your homework. I'm hooked on Setters myself and I wish you luck.

I have a 15mo old Ryman. Though he hunts hard in the field he is calm and relaxed in the house, with or without excersize. My wife and I continue to be amazed by this. He has a great temperment.

Decoverly and Setters West both seem great, I've read about both of them but have not visited.

They are a couple breeders around the Willmar area that have awesome Ryman lines.

My previous setter (Flair) was from Setters West. Top notch. Far and away the best bird dog I’ve ever had. That dog was the most mild mannered, gentle, laid back, animal I’ve ever been around. Take the dog hunting and it was a completely different animal. It was really amazing. Took to training with hardly any effort. In fact, I really didn’t do any training at all. I just taught the dog whoa, heel and fetch. No pigeons, no game farms, the dog just flat out knew how to hunt.

I now have a Good Going setter, from their classic lines (Zeus x Jane), and he is doing ok, I am definitely putting in more work though.

My dog Haze is on the front page of the HSOforum. He was just used a stud, there may be pups left. Great dog, any faults he has are probably more a result of me having no idea what I was doing since he's my first dog ever.

There are some people from PA and MI that I believe have committed to pups so far. OIn fact I think the person in PA currently owns some DeCoverly dogs. It's always great talking with Setter people, good luck!!!

That's interesting. I've seen that pic...Haze looking like an awesome looking dog. How did it work out that Haze became a stud dog? Did you just work it out with Setter Hills?

I think Jan has two separate litters right now. They both look really good.

I got Haze from Jan. She has quite a few dogs and since she does outcrosses with some other kennels she felt it was fine to use him (no shared relatives). I've stayed in contact with her quite a bit since getting Haze. She's seen him hunt and she has even watched him for me a few times when I've gone out of town for work. She didn't even really want to sell him but I really wanted him so she gave in.

I think the fact that she's seen him hunt a few times and was around him some really gave her a good feeling about using him as a stud. With him being that Liver/Chestnut color like his dad ,Parker, and the fact that he's a good looking dog (I may be biased a little) probably helped a little also.

The one litter she has was from Haze (Cindair's) but I think they may old be sold, if not there are only 1 or 2 left. The other litter is from Sequioa & Birch and that should be good litter as well. Sequioa is Haze's mother and he definitely got some of his looks and hunting ability from her.

Thanks for the info. I bought Clyde last year from Heartland Setters in Atwater, also great people. They're good friends with Jan. Clyde's dam was Heartlands Tiger Lily and the sire was Setter Hills Hunter.

Ryman's are amazing dogs...so much fun. I've emailed both Jan and the St John's a few of my pictures from recent trips. They are very caring and thoughtful breeders.

I know Bill & Diane as well. I've hunted with them a few times. I love the Ryman dogs also. I'm very happy I researched the breed enough to find the Ryman dogs and to discover Jan's kennel. I think Haze is a good represntative of a Ryman. I great companion and a very capable hunting dog.