• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Portable GPS question

vikingmeatwad

Question

I have an H2OC right now that I like using with lakemaster for fishing but do you guys know of any of those other units with a bigger screen and traffic directions that would work like the H2O does?

I would rather just have one unit for driving/travelling and fishing.

thanks

15 answers to this question

I have an H2OC right now that I like using with lakemaster for fishing but do you guys know of any of those other units with a bigger screen and traffic directions that would work like the H2O does?

I would rather just have one unit for driving/travelling and fishing.

thanks

I don't know what Lowrance offers with regard to mapping software for the H2O but if they don't offer anything but lakemaps, I can then say that would be one edge the Garmin has.

I currently have not only the basemaps in my garmin but I can download Mapsource maps of all kinds. I currently use USTopo for land coutours, MNLakemaster for my Minnesota lake contours, and USRoads&Rec for highway mapping which includes a rather significant database of POI that can be useful such as locations of wayside rests, restraunts, hotels, fuel supply, etc.

Bob

What I have is a Garmin 176C. They don't make that model anymore, but you can buy the 276 and 376. The 276 is pretty much the same unit, only it has a better screen, and I think they changed a few things to make it more map and route friendly for over the road users. The 376 adds in the available XM radio and weather maps. All of them will take the Lakemaster Chips. I have the MN chip and love it!

I've had the 176C (176 is black and white. 176C is color) for many years now, and love the big screen. It's user friendly, easy to navigate and the screen is big enough to show all details clearly. I bought it for the hovercraft, needing a unit with a screen large enough to sit on the dash and still read what's on the map. Navigating small rivers at speed can be difficult when you're not sure which direction the river's going ahead. Being able to glance at the map and know what's going on is an asset.

Models, 278, 378, 478 have the same shell, but add the ability to plug in a ducer I believe.

Lowrance came out with the ZOG. I got one for my gf and I like it but I guess they are taking them off the market...or not making them anymore. It is compatible with lake chips, music, photos, and topo maps. I am going to try it for driving on ice with the lake chip this winter for sure.

You're talking about the XOG. Still on the market, still going strong, still a very popular unit.

For driving, it talks to you giving you turn-by-turn driving directions. The screen size is average for those types of units. One nice thing about the XOG is it will use your LakeMaster chip.

You can see the XOG HERE at Pro Fishing Supply if you want.

The XOG may be exactly what I am looking for. When I use it for fishing will I be able to mark sites and track where I have been like the H2O?

I see the only downfall is it being more susceptible to breakage due to water.

Am I right on here?

I'm gonna look into the Garmins as well.

I do not believe WAAS feature is an issue. I have an XOG and seldom see a position error greater than 30'. I also have an IFinder with WAAS capability and only occasionally get a a WAAS fix. The XOG is usually tracking many more satelites and seems to be much more receptive in sheltered areas than my IFinder. You must have an external power supply because the internal battery life is only good for a couple-three hours depending upon how bright you run the screen. I like the XOG for both on the road and in the field. The single negative I have, is that it does not give you a visible compass feature for steering a course

I found the Garmin 750 (Consumer Reports #1) is $200 at costco. It gets high ratings for driving.

I just can't find any info on if it would work with my lakemaster chip for Lowrance and how it would work for lakemaps.

Still looking but the XOG was 35 spots below the 750.

Lowrance and Garmin both have proprietary map chips .... lowrance chips won't work in garmin and garmin chips won't work in lowrance, even though they both have lakemaster data on them. I think for a Garmin unit you could download LakeMaster maps to it if you wanted, but you would of course have to buy them first even though you already have a chip.