• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Using Bonus tag first and putting on the tag........

Shwangman

I got into this talk last weekend with some hunters and we were talking how many they got and small talk when one of them said to the other hunter in the group, I still have my main tag so I can shoot a buck because i used my bonus tag on the doe i shot and I told him and his buddy that I don't think that is correct and that he would have used his main tag first and then his bonus tag or I'm I completely wrong. Another thing, when putting your tag on, you need to use string or something to tie on to the deer and I think there should be a better way or I'm I missing something

Thanks

Like already stated you can use your bonus tag first. As far as attaching the tag a zip tie works great. Also this year you do not have to attach the site tag until you have it out of the woods and on your four wheeler or in your vehicle.

Like already stated you can use your bonus tag first. As far as attaching the tag a zip tie works great. Also this year you do not have to attach the site tag until you have it out of the woods and on your four wheeler or in your vehicle.

Slight correction. I'm not trying to harrass you here and this may seem a bit picky but it could lead to potential issue so I thought I throw it in.

Your statement says, "out of the woods." You are correct that you do not need to put the tag on until you load your deer onto a means of transport like an ATV or other vehicle but where I think your a bit off is the statement I pointed out. I believe that if you load your deer onto your ATV or into a trailer pulled by your ATV, in others words a vehicle, then you must have the tag affixed even if you are still in the woods, so to speak. You don't need it attached if your dragging it out. The idea being that it would be too easy to loose it in the process.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Just wouldn't want someone to get into trouble thinking they were okay until they actually got out of the woods.

My brother nearly got cited for this once but the CO decided to let him off with just a warning.

Bob

Bob, maybe I should have been more spacific, you are right. once it is on any type of motorized transportation the tag needs to be attached. If you are dragging it by hand you do not need to attach the tag at the kill sight. It was worse when they had the tags that you had to peel off the backing, put a string between and stick the two halves together. The biggest problem with the current tags is finding the hole the string is supposed to go.

Thanks for the clarification.

I miss the old tags that tore off and you peeled the backing off and stuck it around the leg or anill has a couple of his old mettlers. My dad still has a couple of his old metal tags around the antler mounts.

I remember the metal tags. Once they were clipped together on a deer they weren't coming apart. That was a time of Bucks Only in Zone 1.

Then the self stick paper tags came along. Don't remove the backing on the sticky side until you've inserted the tag between the leg bone and tendon. smile

Now you use a string and you punch a hole. I've forgotten to bring string and used bootlace. I spent some time looking at the site tag for the spot were up punch the hole out, like and X or 0, or "punch hole here". Whats to stop an unscrupulous guy from untying his tag and put it on another deer?

The zip tie is a very good idea, one I'll use from now on.