Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Powerstroke

Got one this morning!!

31 posts in this topic

I know I know where are the pics?!? I don't have them because my wife took the camera on her vacation this weekend. SO, you'll all have to wait till sunday unless I get the grainy "bigfoot-esque" photo off my cell phone.

Thats okay, it was a big doe. If you've seen one you've seen them all. I'm doing a Three Rivers hunt so its for management purposes, but its still just as fun. I saw 7 deer before 10am. including a small 6pt and a small 8pt. Both probably 2.5yr olds.

The doe I shot was aged by their tech as a 3.5yr old doe and weighed 115 pounds dressed out. She was a pig.

Double lung shot and nicked the heart at 12yds with my Xforce and the Rage 2-blade. She went maybe 20yds.

I can't wait for tomorrow morning. There are some big rubs around and I want to find the BIG BOY!!

Way to go! Congratulations.

Now go get the big boy. Hopefully the deer activity will keep you warm in the AM. I'll be out the too.

The doe I shot was aged by their tech as a 3.5yr old doe and weighed 115 pounds dressed out. She was a pig.

Congrats!

I do particularly like that data point. Seems on the small side for a 3.5 year old, but its more realistic than all the 150+ lb does or 200+ lb bucks that are reported all the time. I think if people really weighed their deer, they might be a little shocked at what they really do weigh in at.

Biglakebass wrote: I think if people really weighed their deer, they might be a little shocked at what they really do weigh in at.

Isn't that tthe truth!

Nice Job Andy, good luck finding the big boy, which park were you hunting? The one by my house?

Ya I agree that seems a little light for a 3 yr old. Lot of variables go into a deer's weight though. Maybe the tech over-aged the deer??

Almost does not count.

Oh and I almost forgot...congrats on the doe Powerstroke! Vittles!

The tech thought it between a 2.5 or 3.5 but he said there was some wear on the molars so he leaned towards older.

Dressed out she weighed 115lbs (I held the scale) but I've never weighed a deer previously. That being said, I shot a doe last year that was much bigger so that only increases my curiosity about how big the one from last year was.

She did have plenty of fat on her so I know she wasn't running too lean or anything. Maybe she was only 2.5yr old. I don't really know and it doesn't really matter. I thought it was a neat little tidbit of info since I've never had a deer aged or weighed before.

Another stat I can verify, the backstraps weighed 3.5 pounds EACH!! That was 7lbs of pure venison tenderloin!! shockedgrin

Very nice deer Powerstroke!

I would be proud to have one hanging right about now whistle

Which park are you hunting in? I always apply for the Murphy Hanrehan Park. Didn't get drawn this year, but took a small 8pt last year.

Nels

Here are the pics. Full pass thru, the rage 2-blade, The deer is already cleaned in that photo, and the 7lbs of tenderloin.

fall08006.jpg

fall08008.jpg

fall08010-1.jpg

fall08012-1-1.jpg

Good job. Don't let these guys bug you. We weigh every deer that comes into our camp, 115 lbs is a BIG doe.

Nice doe, congrats. Would have liked to see some pics of the blood trail that Rage's left, don't have any do you????

Good job. Don't let these guys bug you. We weigh every deer that comes into our camp, 115 lbs is a BIG doe.

Just to be clear, in no way am I saying its a small deer. I am saying its very realistic compared to all the reports of 150+ lb does we read about.

I just mentioned it seems light for 3.5 years old.

By all means a great sized doe, regardless if its 2.5 or 3.5 years old.

Way to go Stroke - congrats on the doe. Looks to be some good eating for sure. You sure those weren't the backstraps/loins? At 7 lbs, those would be the largest tenderloins I've ever seen! They're only about 10-12" long and weigh under a lb.

More 170 lb. bucks get misidentified as 200 lb bucks than you can imagine. Actually weighing a dressed deer is an eye-opening experience for many people. The weight of many deer are estimated and over-estimated by the successful hunter.

There is a very large big buck contest in western Wisconsin. Thousands of bucks are entered and weighed each year. The average buck usually comes in around 142-145 lbs. The winner is usually around 195 lbs. Some years they get a real 200+ lber. I do think on average western WI deer are a little smaller than northern MN deer the difference isn't that great.

Bottom line, 115 lbs is one heck of a nice doe.

Quote:
More 170 lb. bucks get misidentified as 200 lb bucks than you can imagine

I'll agree with that. I guessed my deer at 170 but only made 152. But out of thousands of deer registered, not one legitimate 200lb'er? I find that hard to believe. The WI strain of deer isn't that much different than MN. They're rare but not that rare. There's been quite a few reported in MN already.