• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

186" Poached in OH

THat is a huge buck, but do ya think that is the smallest DNR officer around those parts? He looks like he is on his tip toes reaching over the side of the truck.

13K in fines is not enough in my book, but I had a student today who told me I was strict, but it was a good thing that I was.

Unfortunately I think the DNR would have stepped in sooner if they could have. Sounds like shining is illegal there too and the DNR would have been happy to issue a shining citation and maybe taken their guns or something. Now we've lots another amazing deer to the Wall of Shame. At least that magnificent deer can be used in education and publicity of the TIP line.

THat is a huge buck, but do ya think that is the smallest DNR officer around those parts? He looks like he is on his tip toes reaching over the side of the truck.

I bet he's a scrappy little feller though!!!!

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

It is LEGAL to shine a spotlight on deer, provided it is prior to 10pm and my shotgun is unloaded, cased, and in the bed of my pickup. Is that right?

I know there are additional rules regarding buildings etc. I love to take my son after shooting light, and go shine deer just to look at them, but if it's not legal, please let me know.

I found it in the regs, pg 32:

A person may not cast the rays of a spotlight, headlight, or other artificial light onto a highway, or into a field, woodland, or forest to spot, locate, or take a wild animal while possessing, either individually or as a one of a group, a firearm, bow, or other implement that could be used to kill big game. The EXCEPTIONS to this regulation are:

a) a Firearm that is unloaded, cased, and in the closed trunk of a motor vhicle (if it doesn't have a trunk, it must be in the rearmost portion of the vehicle)....

there is a B) and c)...

With or without a firearm, or bow, no person may cast the rays of a spotlight, headlight, or other artificial light into a field, woodland, or forest to spot, locate, or take a wild animal between the hours of 10pm and 6am from sept 1 to december 31.

There is more information about residential property, and buildings, and posted "no shining" property...

But the regs would indicate it is perfectly legal for my son and I to enjoy shining before 10pm, with my gun unloaded and cased well in the back of the truck bed.

I think the fine is way too steep. It's only a deer and they're kids. If we were talkin about a doe here I'm sure you guys wouldn't be so worked up. They put way too much value on those trees comin out of his head. I think seizing the gun and ammunition is steep enough, maybe revoke their ability to buy a license for a year, lesson learned; but 13000$ and possible jail time is ridiculous. These guys are kids, and it's not as if they shot the last deer around...

If one were to take that advice, those kids would never learn. They need to hammer hard and then maybe they will learn. It is not an excuse because they are young. They have to learn and at that age, its a good time. For years they would place a small fine on these type infractions and it did nothing.

If it was up to me, they would be in jail or hundreds of hours of sentence to service time.

To be frank I think that's [PoorWordUsage], most kids would straighten up after an encounter like that. I know losing a firearm alone would put me in my place. It might be a different story if it were a grown man pullin that stunt. I don't think anyone should be fined 13,000 for any buck, and I also think jail space would be better utilized by locking away criminals who commit far more haneous crimes than poaching a deer. I do like the community service idea though.