• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

P Line vs Power Pro / Fireline

marine_man

MM- The bens in my opinion.. More stealthy, fish cant see floro as well. More stretch, which allows you to play fish better. Knots hold better. Doesnt freeze up if you fish outside.(FYI, P-line is nice, I prefer Gamma is its slightly better as far as limpness.)

The only read advantage of braid is no stretch, thinner diam.

I only use braid on lures that swim.. IE Jigging Rapala. THe lure will swim out farther because less resistance do to the thinner diam.

I feel pretty much the same way, the only time I use fireline or power pro for ice fishing is if the bites are so lite that no-stretch is crucial, or if I want the strength.

The big reason I like P-Line and Gamma is the limpness and reduced visibility, and that it won't freeze up when hole hopping around outside. I also like the small amount of stretch, and I like how easy it is to retie baits.

Ever seen fireline on an underwater camera? It's very easy to see, it looks like a piece of rope attached to your bait.

Ever had a fish wrap fireline around your trasnducer cable in the hole? It can cut all the way through to the sheathing.

I know MM fishes LOTW every winter - up there I use fireline in the house for jigging - the water is dark so spooking isn't a concern, the no stretch makes it easy to detect bites, and you can hoist the fish right out of the hole without worrrying about the line breaking. Although my deadsticks are always Gamma or P-Line.

You can try a 6ft or so PLine/Gamma leader connected to Fireline or Power Pro with a #12 swivel. The swivel is small enough to go thru most ice rod guides. Helps control jig spinning too. I use that setup for jigging in depths over 20ft if the bite is light. Deadsticks are always Pline/Gamma.