• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Go to ice lure for perch

Cooter

Cooter, I love your avatar.

I like to catch perch on the same jigging spoons I use for walleyes. I almost always start with that and go after the largest and most aggressive perch.

If they're not going on jigging spoons, I'll usually go next to a small horizontal jib like a fat boy, with just the head of a crappie minnow. Or maybe bugs instead of the minnow head.

I've been trying to dial in some consistent plastics for perch but haven't got there yet. I've been trying to imitate the freshwater shrimp and other bugs/larvae that they eat, but I haven't found anything that consistently works better than the other methods.

If you find a good freshwater shrimp imitation be sure to let me know. I might tinker with a scud fly either above or below a jig or sinker this winter. You have any idea how big those shrimp are come winter time?

When the perch bite gets tough, I go to a "dropper line" which is a 4 inch piece of mono tied to a jigging spoon with plain hook and a fathead minnow head. The spoon brings 'em in, and they can't resist the minnow head dangling below it.

aggressive perch - Little Atom Knacker and tan Maki

neutral - #3 or #4 YBD Gold/glow bead wolfram tipped with spikes

negative - #2 YBD natural perch with spike threaded tight to the jig/ entrails exposed.

Sight fishing early and late ice its's hard not to throw a gold 1/8 oz Kastmaster packed with spikes.