Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BobT

Is support for outdoor org. valuable now with the emendment?

10 posts in this topic

Thought I'd get some views exchanged here.

Yesterday I received an invitation to join/support PF. I have supported this org. in the past but let my membership lapse. Anyway, while considering the offer I began to wonder whether it would be worth my while considering the money that should now become available for habitat through the newly passed amendment.

Bob

Oh. In the end I have decided to support PF again. For another year anyway.

I think PF would be able to leverage more money with the amendment. Like matching grants.

I support DU. They are an organization that is big on wetlands conservation along with grassland conservation. It is habitat that benefits multiple species (not just waterfowl) and also a critical component in maintaining water quality.

I think PF has a lot of the same goals in mind, habitat conservation that benefits more than just the specific species that they carry the name of.

I think the money given to these organizations will be well worth it especially with the additional money available from the new amendment. I would believe these organizations will partner with the state to do more than they traditionally would have with their funding alone.

I'll preface this by stating that I am not a resident of Minnesota (as of a couple years ago), so you can factor that into your opinion of my opinion.

The private organizations tend to do a much better job of accomplishing thier goals with the dollars they recieve than does the government. I won't go into great detail about why...that would be another (destined to become locked) thread.

My tax dollars go to HUD, to promote low income housing. That doesn't stop me from donating to Habitat for Humanity, because I think H4H can do more good with $500 than HUD can do with $5000. My tax dollars go to the USDA food stamp program, but that doesn't stop me from donating to the local food shelf...because I think the local food shelf can do more good with $50 than USDA can do with $500.

By the same token, PF and DU (and other groups, including local sportsmen clubs) can do more good with the contributions of sportsmen than the State of Minnesota will do with this tax revenue.

Also, watch the budget...the items that the sales tax designation is earmarked for may not increase. They may just direct these earmarked funds to existing budget items, effectively just using the designated sales tax revenue to cover existing eligible budget items.

The amendment is not a replacement for conservation groups by any means, if you support the activity's and the things a group works for and stands support them they need your support now more than ever.

Jarrod32 that is a great perspective.

So if the portion of the money collected that is "dedicated" toward the environment, clean water, habitat, and land aquisition just like these private organizations and the DNR use theirs for AND if this amendment is going to bring in the $Millions they claimed when supporters were selling it to the public, then what's to say we won't flood the state with so much money to be used for these things that we won't just create another sink hole for our hard-earned tax dollars?

Bob

In my opinion PF will yet keep on track with improvements so will all other groups.The dedicated funds will greatly advance projects taken on by all groups.So lets say PF is refused funds from dedicated money it goes else where,I believe these groups are SO dedicated for their purpose that they'll yet use their collected monies to advance with a refused funds project.

PF uses funds generated by local chapters in their local area. Not sure about your membership as this needs to also pay for magazine, etc. The banquet money however stays in the local area unless the chapter sends it somewhere else.

Example: Douglas County PF needs $ to purchase WMA. At the state convention they present their case and request support Anoka PF puts up $5K from their Habitat Fund as challenge to other chapters, Otter Tail PF matches along with others. Each chapter builds up a fund and directs it's expenditure.

DU generally gets NAWCA grants and ends up matching the states money 3 or 4 times over. Great deal for us if we have our "ducks" in a row.

Yes, I think that what will (should) happen is that the private orgs. and the "new" ammendment monies will be able to work together to reach goals that might be unattainable for just the private orgs. They only have so much money, even with all the support they get, and more projects to "want" to tackle. So if they can work by getting matching funds all their budget won't be put into one big project.

Take the Lake Christina Inka Inna assocation around lake Chrsitina. Even though they have good support there, it is still soo darned costly to put in the pumps, or do another chemical kill, etc. so I hope that is one example of where the ammendment money can help. That will be a big project, and help a ton, but that is just one project among potentially hundreds or thousnads.

I love that area, only reason I am specifying it, but everybody who is a member of some local groups has the same love for their projects, and I hope the ammendment monies will be able to help lots of these, in the end making the state of MN a better place for us all. And talk to the resort owners whose cabins are full when the duck hunting is great, and empty when it is bad, and they can talk more about what clean water does for a local area.

Ok, enough of my rambling smile

BobT,

you bet it is a great idea to continue to support the PFs of the world. One thing I would like to do is shake you hand at the Douglas County PF banquet in late February. The money raised there stays there. Habitat, youth, land acquisitions, you name it. There is so much that can be done. In fact, better yet, consider this an invitation to get involved and help decide how/where to spend the money!