• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

FL-8 genz value?

MrBojangles

I'm looking to finally get a flasher and a co-worker is offering me a fl-8 genz pack for 150. He had a battery issue, but it's apparently fixed now. Could anyone let me know what the quality record of this machine is and if the price is fair for old technology?

I usually don't fish in any deeper water than 30' so the new more powerfull systems really won't help me anymore that this unit. If this statement is incorrect please let me know what i'm missing.

If I don't do this deal i'll probably end up with the Hummminbird Ice 45 like had origanlly planned.

Thanks,

That's a very nice deal for the FL8-SE. As mentioned above, new batteries aren't that expensive. You can find them at almost any store selling the flashers. I would also look at cleaning the brushes inside the unit, which you can do yourself. Directions are online on the vex site.

Great unit to start out with, and even keep until you no longer need it!

I usually don't fish in any deeper water than 30' so the new more powerfull systems really won't help me anymore that this unit. If this statement is incorrect please let me know what i'm missing.

While this is a heck of deal and you will be very happy with the purchase I do need to point out that the features of the higher price units aren't only useful or about deeper water. Better target seperation is especially important in shallow water, more so when fishing in weeds. Also things like the Bottom Lock mode on the FL-18 and 20 and the moveable zoom on the Marcum's are very handy when fishing for bottom hugging walleyes or tightly schooled suspending crappies.

Again, not that you can't live with out those features or still be sucessful in those situations with the FL-8SE, just some things to consider.

Good deal, and even if it needs a tune up or a new dial assembly, that will only run you about $50 and it will be as good as new. Or...better yet...send it in and get the new Cool Blue conversion from the Vex Service dept.....than you get a complete work-up and they will check out everything for any bugs....and a you get a new Hot looking bright LED display for $59...NOW...that is a plan. In the end, it would be better than new with the newest display now offered by Vex. See the Vex web site for more details on this new Cool Blue display high output LED option...preaty sweet too.

If you often fish shallow add a S-Cable so you can upgrade it to a LP mode. This adds a wider gain range of adjustment and is very useful in shallow water with weeds for panfish or to thin out bug clutter after dark in waters with bug rich environments. A S-Cable will run you $19.00, a good investment.

If I stumbled onto a good buy on a used FL-8SE or an FL-18...I would do the Cool Blue upgrade for sure.

I bought an older FL-8 (non SE) last year for $100. Well worth the investment! I didn't ( and still don't) have much money but this unit allowed me to fish better by seeing what was down there. I would like a newer unit, but for the price I couldn't beat it. If you are short on funds then this sounds like a great deal.