• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Crop Update?

I just hunted the glencoe - hutch area and there was still plenty of corn in the field Id say 50%. which is better than a few weeks ago but still plenty of places to keep the birds out of the public hunting areas. Adam

still lots of corn between appleton and morris; they are going hard trying to get it out, but there are a lot of fields that semi's cannot get into, forcing the grain carts to off load to the semis parked on the roads; in turn making the roads a mess. a lot of crp, cattail sloughs, and state land has been flattened down by the rain/snow/wind from last week. still a little snow on the ground.

I hunted Murray co last weekend and most of the corn was down. There are still some giant fields left but few wet spots where the farmer was forced to leave some of the crop. Last year it seems that many beans and small patches of corn were left in wet areas to be picked later or left all winter. This year the fields that are picked are picked clean.

I plan to hunt again this weekend and doubt much happened over the week. The weather has been aweful.

In our area the crops are out, but the stubble has yet to be turned under leaving huge fields for birds to hide in. That boads well for birds picking grain and getting fat for the winter, but makes it hard to push birds to a field edge. It's amazing how such a gaudy bird can hide in that razor stubble. They run right out and disapper. When it's plowed they tend to hold and flush at the edge rather than run across the black soil.

For the hunters, it's sure nicer to walk in the stuble though.Hans

I was out hunting on Wednesday between St. Cloud and Pierz.. Still lots of big corn fields with maybe 40 - 50 percent in. Did not see any farmers picking while I was out.

I hope to get back out next week after the deer hunters are gone.

I drive around southcentral/southwest Mn. all the time for my job and the best way to describe the corn is spotty. In some areas there is very little remaining while in others there is well over 50% out there. Some huge fields remain in isolated spots and I can't even imagine how many birds they are holding right now. Farmers are really having a tough time with all this moisture. I bet all the corn saved thousands of deer as well. Some have said it might be mid-december before they are able to get it out.