Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
311Hemi

Finally going out west!

13 posts in this topic

Well, I just got word from the father in law that he is heading out to Island Park the week of MLK day. The favorite wife OK'd the trip and I am finally going to be heading out west. The father in law usually goes out west 3-4 times a year...but my fall hunting and winter MN fishing/snowmobile trips have kept me from going in the past.

Anyone know what the snow conditions are usually like out there mid Jan?

I will be leaving the 600 Gade home and riding the FIL's M7. Can't wait! grin

Sounds like a killer time 311!

Take some pictures when you go and post them on FM for us to see grin

Island Park, ID correct?? You will have such a good time!!! Shackbash is right make sure you take lots of pictures for us. That time of year you should have good snow. The biggest thing you have to worry about when riding out west is how good of a base does the snow have. Move Avys seem to happen earlier in the year then later, it is always a good ideal to rent a beacon!!! I always have one!!!!

Here is a link to a great HSOforum that you can check out how much snow is on the ground now and also look up past years. Just scroll down and pick different dates, years and stuff like that.

http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/nsa/index.htm...=14&units=e

Thanks for the link Bassman! And yep, Island Park, ID. My FIL has an extra beacon for me so that's covered!

Your going to have a BLAST 311, hopefully you guys hit it just right and have a TON of powder. There are a couple other places you can get snow info, there are snotel sites through out the mtns, you can google Island Parks site and get a link to it, also, even though it's for the Montana side of things you can get daily reports via a mailinglist from mtavalanche they cover W Yellowstone which is pretty close to Island Park.

If you happen to get a chance, there is a fellow coming to your neck of the woods from Colorado late this week, he puts on a 4 hour course for snowmobilers, he calls it a avalanche saftey course but it is much more than that, well worth the $45 for anyone that rides out west.

Mike

If you happen to get a chance, there is a fellow coming to your neck of the woods from Colorado late this week, he puts on a 4 hour course for snowmobilers, he calls it a avalanche saftey course but it is much more than that, well worth the $45 for anyone that rides out west.

Mike

I agree with Mike, that class is really worth the money!!!

CB, did you find yourself a different ride yet? I know you were scheming last year.

Mike

LOL that is still in the works!!! Did you hear that Cat is already should out of 09 m8, only ones they have left are at the dealers smile how about Yourself?

LOL that is still in the works!!! Did you hear that Cat is already should out of 09 m8, only ones they have left are at the dealers smile how about Yourself?

No more Rev chassis for ya?

Maybe the M series will be a bit different than the CF's, but I did not entirely care for the CF seating position compared to the Rev's. FIL has an 08' CF8 that he is bringing out there also. Rode it last year and while that engine has some spunk....I was happy to jump back on the Gade.

Also...thanks for the additional info. I know the classes you are talking about. Think I read some on HCS about them.

The M Series has been rank the best mountain sled for the last how many years. The new xp are really nice as well!!! That rev in my pic just rips in the mountains but that sled isn't mine, its the GF, but i rode it for 3 days out west and man that made my mind think!!!! A M series just fits better to my riding style

Hadn't heard that the '09 M8's were gone, not that I was really in the market this year for a new sled anyway, only have a little over 1000 miles on the MC 900 although I really like what they have done with the new M8's. I just have a hard time getting use to that riding style compared to my ' old style ' 900 but, I'm going to have to change eventually!

Drove past one of the race tracks today, boys have been running the snow makers for a few days now, Cat guys are out there running the sled for the upcoming race season, kind of gets the blood pumpin' for sure !! grin

Mike

I know you arn't getting a brand new sled but i was just shocked to hear that and thinks is a good marketing deal!!