• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

spearing ?????????

bak2MN

Its been a long time since Ive speared and had a few questions. How big of a house should I build? What can I do to make it fairly light? Is there any spears better than others or dont it really matter? Live bait or decoys? What lakes around the Detroit lakes area and general areas would be a good place to start? Any help would be great, Thanks.

I have heard of quite a few people using portables to spear out of.

I have heard of people putting moving blankets over the top of them to darken them up. This insulates and blocks light.

I have also heard of people putting thick black rolled plastic between the fabric and the framework on the inside for a light weight light blocker.

I may at times bring my son. How big of hole should a guy use?

Generaly speaking 2' X 3' works really good.

I have a ~21" X ~38" hole in my 4X6 and I really like that size.

I can fit 2 grown men on folding chairs next to each other facing the hole in the 4X6 portable canvas house. It is pretty tight but it works.

This year I upgraded to a 8 X 8.

I am keeping the 4 X 6 for when I go out alone and the 8 X 8 when I have someone with me.

does anyone use a portable house or something close to it? just wondering if it will be dark enough

As the guys know, this is all that i have ever used. I usta use a Mankato, and it was great, but the floor would not last in it.

Now i use a house made by Canvas craft. The canvas is very dark, and its the best house that i have ever had. There is alot of room in it.

THe reason that i love to use a portable all the time is to be able to move it around faster on lakes that you wanta try different places out on, and to go to different lakes alot.

Hope this helps.

I would love to watch sometime. I have never speared before and after watching some videos, it looks awsome. If someone is willing, I would love to just tag along.

You should come out durning the get to gater that we have every year. There is always a spot for people to come out that dont have the stuff, and hang out and learn about the awesome sport.