Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Big Tom

"Shiny New Padlocks"

27 posts in this topic

So is all political discussion pretty much "out of bounds" now?

Kind of a shame if so, but then again [PoorWordUsage] on the opposing party without any insight or thoughtfullness to an individual post gets nothing but wasted bytes anyhow.

Here's a link to Forum Policy for the Outdoor Political Forum.

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/ub...les_#Post431399

The rules have been relaxed this year for primary election discussion, as they were 4 years ago.

IMO, if any single topic in this forum could stay on track without the personal attacks and bickering, it would be worthwhile. But nothing can stay on track past 2 pages. When the discussion is good and thoughtful, it is good, thought provoking and interesting to read.

But most folks would rather not engage in thoughtful debate on these issues as evidenced by the many, many quick one line shots at the "opposing party".

I read the policy Chris and that's why I asked. I agree with your analysis 100%. It becomes like trolling, only without the water.

"General discussion of outdoor issues that affect us and ideas on ways to improve the outdoor experience"

I imagine this will be the best guideline to follow when starting a new post here.

It becomes like trolling, only without the water.

Perfectly said, Tom, and I echo Chris' sentiments 100 percent. Political partisans can meet in the bar and trade insults over drinks if that's their kind of sport. This isn't the place for it.

Oh come on. geez. we are not made of sugar, are we? nobody dislikes anybody on a personal level here. if you dont want any political discussion discussed at all, then all political discussion should be banned, like on another outdoors site that i go on which shall remain nameless. yes, i'm cheating on minnesotafishingforum.com.

at least we are not challenging each other to duels like congress used to do, and i wish they still did.

The problem that I see is most of these degrade to your side is stupid, no your sides is stupid or worse you're stupid, no you are stupid. Gets to be absolutely pointless. Not so bad if we are discussing ideas or alternative solutions, but when it degrades to that, what is the point of the debate?

The problem that I see is most of these degrade to your side is stupid, no your sides is stupid or worse you're stupid, no you are stupid. Gets to absolutely pointless. Not so bad if we are discussing ideas or alternative solutions, but we it degrades to that, what is the point of the debate?

Exactly!

Ok, so here's a topic that would seem to fit; With all this new tax money burning a hole in the outdoor's pocket, would it make sense for some of the folks on this site to start recommending a few names that we (FM) can lobby the decision makers to put on the spending committee? I would think that with all the hits, and members, that we may be able to sway a law maker in need of more than a few votes.

Otherwise, the appointments will go to people who are owed favors. (which isn't all bad because it would give us another reason to start a bashing thread laugh )

It does get very old down here in the ODD forum for reasons stated above, but when that happens there are many other forums on this site to take the slack up from poor posting down in Silly Town grin

It was and I had fun back in Aug. and Sept. in here, but since then I just figure why get involved.

Originally Posted By: Big Tom

Ok, so here's a topic that would seem to fit; With all this new tax money burning a hole in the outdoor's pocket, would it make sense for some of the folks on this site to start recommending a few names that we (FM) can lobby the decision makers to put on the spending committee? I would think that with all the hits, and members, that we may be able to sway a law maker in need of more than a few votes.

Otherwise, the appointments will go to people who are owed favors. (which isn't all bad because it would give us another reason to start a bashing thread laugh )

Good one Kidd...maybe start a new thread on it!

I'm pretty sure the first 10 million is set aside already to repaint and fix the spoon with the cherry on it. For those of you who are stareing off into space right now this is in reference to a monster sized spoon in Lowery Park Mpls. Man is that a peice of... (ART). Anyway. If you can't poke a bit of fun what's the point.

PS. it's a beautiful spoon.

I've been booted down to silly town many times and more often than not regret it.I'm very guilty of highlighting the sticky points of an issue and not always for the best. As a general rule the moderators due a very skillful job of combining threads and contolling discussions that get out of hand.

It takes years of training to be able to communicate in print what all of us do easily everyday with body language and non verbal communication. Emoticons help, but the tone of a speaker makes all the difference in the world- and tone is very difficult to convey in linear print.

So, in all post give the writer the benifit of the doubt and spin comments in a positive light in your own head when you read them and maybe personality and ego has a chance of staying out of it. They won't always be meant that way, but at least you know your response won't make it worse.

Most DNR and outdoor related debate is inherently political. The threads this last fall about the amendment are prime examples of how this site can be used for good as a forum for both sides of any debate. So, it would be a shame to lock out political talk for fear of a few toes being stepped on. So I urge all of you to trust the moderators but control yourself so they don't have to.

Speak your mind and let no one steal your voice. Hans

The problem that I see is most of these degrade to your side is stupid, no your sides is stupid or worse you're stupid, no you are stupid. Gets to absolutely pointless. Not so bad if we are discussing ideas or alternative solutions, but we it degrades to that, what is the point of the debate?

of course the other side is stupid. just like the other side of the other side is always wrong. and then the other side of the other side's side is without a doubt, a bunch of lowlifes. then the other side of the other sides side's side doesn't have a clue. but their side...forget it. i cant say it on this family forum

dont even get me started on those other sides

I've been booted down to silly town many times and more often than not regret it.I'm very guilty of highlighting the sticky points of an issue and not always for the best. As a general rule the moderators due a very skillful job of combining threads and contolling discussions that get out of hand.

It takes years of training to be able to communicate in print what all of us do easily everyday with body language and non verbal communication. Emoticons help, but the tone of a speaker makes all the difference in the world- and tone is very difficult to convey in linear print.

So, in all post give the writer the benifit of the doubt and spin comments in a positive light in your own head when you read them and maybe personality and ego has a chance of staying out of it. They won't always be meant that way, but at least you know your response won't make it worse.

Most DNR and outdoor related debate is inherently political. The threads this last fall about the amendment are prime examples of how this site can be used for good as a forum for both sides of any debate. So, it would be a shame to lock out political talk for fear of a few toes being stepped on. So I urge all of you to trust the moderators but control yourself so they don't have to.

Speak your mind and let no one steal your voice. Hans

Nice post Hans

I'm sure the mods of this particual forum would agree with what you said

... But nothing can stay on track past 2 pages...

Wow you gave it two more pages than I would have winkgrinlaughlaughlaughlaughlaughlaughlaughlaugh J/K

There were actually quite a few good posts with thoughtful discussion when it came to the presidential candidates and the dedicated funding bill. I typically could read a line or two of a post and figure out it it was worth reading the entire post or if it was just garbage and then move on. I asked a question in the dedicated funding thread and thought the responses were pretty good. I actually liked reading what those who I might not have necessarily agreed with posted if it had something of merit within the discussion. I can honestly say that I made an attempt to keep things going in a direction of promoting constructive debate. I even deleted a couple of posts that I had not intended to have degrade the discussion but did so in the intrest of keeping the conversation civil. I also figure tactfulness can also go a long way.

I'm pretty sure the first 10 million is set aside already to repaint and fix the spoon with the cherry on it. For those of you who are stareing off into space right now this is in reference to a monster sized spoon in Lowery Park Mpls. Man is that a peice of... (ART). Anyway. If you can't poke a bit of fun what's the point.

PS. it's a beautiful spoon.

Yes ,it is a beautiful spoon. It is one of the most photographed objects in the twin cities. By the way,it is not in Loring Park,it is at the Walker Scupture Garden.

343431352_NDfsR-M.jpg

I personally like the "spoon" but I took my child there last year and all I could think about was how terrible the grass looked! I agree we need to lower our pest etc. usage but are we killing the planet to have a few acres look like mowed hay field! can assue you the photo above is not what you will see today.

I went there and I thought the same thing! For gods sake where is the gardner!

My family thought that I was weird for thinking that. anyways......I do think that it is a cool work of art and a cool place.

can assue you the photo above is not what you will see today.

Maybe not today,but it was the way it looked when I took the photo on July 9th. Maybe because I've been going there for so many years and have seen it in so many different conditions I did not notice the grass.

july 9th is my B-day! not that that has anything to do with the subject but I do remember it was beautiful day.

My point being is that sometimes the "feel" can override the "art". I really was taken by the "art" but why do the grounds has to be so shabby?

For my part in any thread locking discussion, I would have to apologise for my "one liners" . I thought I too tried to bring something to a discussion, but sometimes I like to rock the boat a little, or felt that the side that holds my political views needed some defending. I sure don't have anything against anyone on this forum, and have enjoyed to the most extent the discussions.

Now off to the deer stand I go..

For my part in any thread locking discussion, I would have to apologise for my "one liners" .

Apology accepted winklaughgrin

Now, group hug. (and I know gunflint will want to get in on it this time) laugh

I think political discussions among sportsman are important even if the issues being discussed have no immediate impact on the outdoors because it is important to realize that there is considerable diversity of thought and attitude among sportsmen.

We do need to always remember to treat each other with respect, and to not take arguments against our positions personally; but we should be able to do it.

Elections get everyone fired up and partisan over their candidate, but the real important discussions are happening now as we need to work together to actually solve the issues now that the players have been determined. We need to actually play the hand that we have been [self] dealt, and move forward.

The Super Bowl is over and we all have to pick up the confetti.

FMN is a great collection of smart and opinionated personalities, lets be able to talk about the big ideas of the day. I think now that the election is over it is more important to talk politics, and that more substance can come out, as we can move beyond the horse race partisan talking points. I hope I can do it here at FMN because there are so many important and divergent viewpoints. Which is amazing when you think about it, because we all probably have so much in common with each other.

So let me apologise for the feathers I have ruffled, and to let you all know that I hold no ill will against any of you. In fact I owe many of you for helping me think about and articulate my views.

But lets keep the spotlight on our elected officials; to keep them working for us, and so that we can remain active and engaged citizens.