Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
chasineyes

Is it Fair to the Dog?

My children and I have been debating getting a dog next spring. We would love to get another Lab or Retriever, since I'm blessed with girls who enjoy the outdoors walks and hunts smile My delimma is we live in the city of Shakopee with a small lot, and I'm worried the dog won't have enough space, and it would have to be an inside dog. There are lots of places by the river to run them so if I can get out enough they should be able to run freely a lot. Do you think it's fair to get a dog in this situation or will the dogs adapt to their "homelife"??? Thanks

You have to make a commitment to exercise the dog every day. It will be good for you and the dog. I dont know how small your lot is but mine is 120x75 and that is plenty of room for my lab to burn around and it could be quite a bit smaller and still be sufficient. If you can honestly say that you will get the dog out at least 3 times a week minimum, I think that is fair.

If you can take the dog to the dog park or somewhere else that it can run then I see no problem with it. If you get lazy and don't take the dog as much as you should then you will be the one to suffer more than the dog, the dog will make sure of that.

Like what was said previously, you have to make the commitment to get the dog out. My Brit gets out for a 3 mile walk on average of 4-5 times a week. Some nights you are tired and might not feel like it as much but usually after taking him for I walk I feel better to. I think you will be just fine getting a dog. Good luck.

It is not a matter of fair, as I see it it if you give them a good home and get them out as much as possible, you have done good by the dog. It aint a perfect world, he11 I wasn't born wealthy but I get by. Just don't go looking for a high rollin litter. The best thing is a mental stimulation as well as the physical aspect. My dogs can run all day and not really run down, but put them through some learning excersises with some pressure and they are whipped for the day. Think of it as saving a lab from from a rotten home.

Getting a dog is like having a new baby. I love the part about you saying it would be an Inside dog. OH YEAH that's fair. I think that outside dogs are detached from the family and there for never seem to hunt the way an indoor dog does if only because of the lack of understanding your movements and body language. Get the dog out when you can and do your best. Training your new pup for obedience,and hunting skills is your most important task. The rest will fall into place. Buy a good long leash and take him out as offten as you can. I live in the country and do the same. Most Important I think is that you get yourself a DOG!!! The rest will fall into place. wink

Yes, it is fair to the dog. Just treat it right and get it out as much as possible.

However, this statement is not a fair statment: "I think that outside dogs are detached from the family and there for never seem to hunt the way an indoor dog does if only because of the lack of understanding your movements and body language."

Once again...as was said in a previous thread, you are putting human emotions onto an animal. Just doesn't make sense.

My shorthairs hunt hard. Last time I looked, they don't pay much attention to MY "movements and body language". They quarter the wind, keep their nose to the ground and constantly work to pin a bird. The only time they really even look at me is when I beep the collar for them to come back, or when I'm walking in on a point. I really don't know what they would learn about my movements in the house that would be of any value to them in the field. What they need to be great hunters are good genetics and solid training. If love and devotion were all that was required for a dog to hunt loyally for an owner, we could train any dog to hunt pheasants...poodles, Heinz 57, etc. C'mon guys...think logically. If you want to have a dog in the house, power to you. But to try and suggest that keeping a dog outside somehow makes it less of a hunter only shows how little you really understand about what makes a hunting dog tick.

To say your dog doesn't hunt as hard because he lives outside and not inside is ridiculous. My Britt lives outside. We spend tons of time with him each day. I can't imagine him hunting any harder for me than he already does. Everybody does things a little different, to say that one way is right is not very open minded.

I think that outside dogs are detached from the family and there for never seem to hunt the way an indoor dog does if only because of the lack of understanding your movements and body language. )

Hmmmmm....Consider this field trial dogs are top notch dogs and the majority of them are not house dogs. Bloodlines and training effect how a dog performs, not where it sleeps at night.

I have a small lot as well.. I am disciplined and make sure that i take my Lab out in the field everyday to let him run. It can work if you are willing to put the time into it!!!

I have a small lot as well.. I am disciplined and make sure that i take my Lab out in the field everyday to let him run. It can work if you are willing to put the time into it!!!

JET!

Once again...as was said in a previous thread, you are putting human emotions onto an animal. Just doesn't make sense.

My shorthairs hunt hard. Last time I looked, they don't pay much attention to MY "movements and body language". They quarter the wind, keep their nose to the ground and constantly work to pin a bird. The only time they really even look at me is when I beep the collar for them to come back, or when I'm walking in on a point. I really don't know what they would learn about my movements in the house that would be of any value to them in the field. What they need to be great hunters are good genetics and solid training. If love and devotion were all that was required for a dog to hunt loyally for an owner, we could train any dog to hunt pheasants...poodles, Heinz 57, etc. C'mon guys...think logically. If you want to have a dog in the house, power to you. But to try and suggest that keeping a dog outside somehow makes it less of a hunter only shows how little you really understand about what makes a hunting dog tick.

I wonder if thats why you need to give him a short beep on the collar. NEVER used one myself. Hear there popular nowadays. Not for me I guess. Like I said its just my opinion not a need to make me out as a villan here.And for your info Poodles used to be fine hunting dogs.Look it up. Just shows how much you know about what makes a hunting dog tick.

Not going to make a big deal out of this...you think a dog hunts better because he lives in the house...so be it. If a dog doesn't hunt hard enough to occasionally test the limits of effective range (reason for collar), it isn't because he lives inside and loves his owner so much. I've seen plenty of shoe dusting outside dogs as well.

Getting a dog is like having a new baby.

When I went back and read this, it made our difference of opinion much easier to understand. I enjoy my dogs a lot, but it isn't even in the same league as to what I felt like when each of my 3 kids were born. Hope you're hunting season is going well!