• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ratsos and Shrimpos

mozy

I've never used either before, but am trying to add small plastics to my arsenal. Are there any specific sizes or colors I should be aware of before I just go out and buy at random? Will be using these on crappies, gills, and possibly perch?

As a side note, how are the Nuclear Ants? I've heard that the black ones are a great bait.

Best place to start with ice plastics are ratsos and shrimpos IMO. Then you can graduate on to Little Atom plastics, Lindy Techni-Glo Tails, Berkley Power Minnows, and on and on.

Nuclear ants are a great way to dip your toes in the waters of plastics.

With plastics, provide the action and they will come! I like the white glow-in-the-dark shrimpos. Also am a fan of the blood red ratsos and black ratsos and shrimpos. They're a great way to match the hatch.

Great question and good luck Mozy!

IMO, you should rarely need a split shot for any ice fishing. Reduces sensitivity, reduces bait action, distracts or scares inquisitive pannies...to many negatives. Match the jig size, line size, and rod action and you can be fast and sensitive, and with a flasher see what the fish are doing and where you need to place the bait. Direct tie to the jig, keep those jigs horizontal or vertical, slide the knot where you need it after each fish, and you are good to go. If you are losing fish interest because the drop is taking too long, go a size bigger.

Hope this helps.

slow falls also entice fish to bite.......it sucks sometimes waiting to get back in the strike zone but when you add split shots they tend to cause a knot in the line also.......pink body and white glow head good choice....tip it with 1 euro if the fish aren't taking it plain......Good Luck

Definatly give them a try, I dont use much else. The only thing is, like stated above, you must provide the action, and therefore a flasher is almost a must have. If my flasher goes dead I usually drop the plastics and use a minnow, or go home. It helps to know the fish are there, and see them react to your movements to know what it is they want. Without a flasher, you pretty much need to "think" they are there the whole time and be trying to entice a bite, which gets old after about 5 minutes without a nibble.

Yep, a flasher is definitely on the list before first ice. I've never used plastics before, but the more I've read about it this off-season the more I've been entrigued. Now my next question is how to fish them. I think that Ratso's are a horizontal bait, the Shrimpo vertical, but what about the Nuclear Ant? I could see that one being used both ways.

Andy, I have added to my collection now too, with your old Marcum LX3tc, I added a new camera, and a brand new Marcum LX5. so I figure you can never have enough battery! Plus the mods to my porties have toggle lights now too, so yep, my house is like a charging station!

The Ratsos were the first ice fishing plastics I used many years ago. Then shrimpos, then the Little Atoms plastics and Berkley Power minnows.

A great bait to develop confidence in.

Like other have said don't use a split shot with this set up. You'll miss feeling more fish than you know.

Good Luck!

If you have a chance to view the action you are employing with an underwater camera all the better. I know by doing that last year I was really amazed at how little movement with the rod made so much movement with the baits and then to see the fishes reaction was cool too.