• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

My wheelhouse project

epkirkman

1005.jpg

Here are some pictures of my latest project, unfortunately I lost the pics of us framing the outside walls and putting the roof on. The floor is two layers of 3/4" inch treated plywood with 1 1/2" foam sandwiched between.

1004.jpg

1003.jpg

1002.jpg

1001.jpg

1000.jpg

We just added the wall in the V-front and installed an Empire 20,000 BTU direct vent heater. I will post some more pictures soon.

epkirkman, are your studs 12" on center? I see that you have run your tin vertically without using perlons(sp?). I would imagine that your sheets are 3'x8', correct? The reason I ask about 12" inches on center is because with 16" on center you would have sheets overlapping where there is not a stud. Just curious as I will be starting my project here shortly and would like to run my tin vertically also without using osb or perlons.

By the way, the house looks like it is coming along very well thus far. What size is the house, and what do you have planned for the interior?

The studs are on 16" centers and you are correct on the tin size. I also have sheets overlapping where there is no studs, to be perfectly honest I have zero experience putting tin on anything and I am not very good at it:)

Where this occured however; I just reinforced the seem with self tapping panheads that I painted white.

I am planning on 4 bunks, I have a drop down table for the back that will convert to a bunk. We will be putting in cabinets and a little drop in stove top on the side with no window.

The house is 6'6" by 17'.

We had 60+ mph winds down here and I had no problems with my tin, it was not completely screwed off either. However, my door was ripped off and we are building another one.

We used the .045 rolled rubber roofing from Menards, it was 99 bucks for the roll. I think with the glue and insulation board we have about 240 total in it.

It is extremely easy to install. I will try and post some pics of the roof soon. I had a bunch of pics of us building this thing on my cell phone however; it was in the front pocket of my waders and suffered an unfortunate accident when I took some water on:)

And yeah all the tin is from Menards, white is all they had in stock and I didn't want to wait for two weeks to get another color.

I think the reason why so many people use it is because it is one piece so you have no chance for leaks. I used pole barn steel on mine because it was free. Weight was a big consideration for me. I wanted to keep mine as light as possible, so I just put the steel over the rafters, no sheathing on the roof. In fact, the only plywood I used was for the floor.

I bought the frame from fishhousesupply. I picked it up near Mankato, I can't remember the name of the shop there that welds them but I am very happy with it.

I used the rubber roof because it is very lightweight and easy to install.

I would also be interested in general cost. Does doing it yourself save you enought money compared to a same size house, or is it more about "doing it yourself" and the enjoyment of that part too. Interesting project and topic.

We got the entire thing wired and all the gas line run tonight.

No new pics yet, I will get them posted soon. We changed the entire layout inside and we are very excited to get it done.

If all goes well we will be done this weekend with this thing.

I hope we are because we are gone the next couple of weeks in the Virgin Islands and I can't wait to come back and fish out of it.

The house looks good, keep the pictures coming. I hope to build one sometime soon.

Quote:
I would also be interested in general cost. Does doing it yourself save you enought money compared to a same size house, or is it more about "doing it yourself" and the enjoyment of that part too. Interesting project and topic.

Yes it will save you money, but a little more if you built your own trailer frame for it too. Easy if you know how to weld or a welder smile

Finished putting the finishing touches on the house tonight. I have no idea what this thing weighs yet, the roads are horrible down here.

We have about $8,000-9,000 in this thing. We went with top of the line batteries and that includes the Honda Generator we got for it.

IMG_0536-1.jpg

IMG_0537.jpg

IMG_0539.jpg

IMG_0543.jpg

IMG_0538.jpg

Good lord, man! That house is outstanding!! I love your layout, you make good use of your space, while maximizing practical floor space for holes. I may have to steal an idea or two from ya, if you don't mind of course wink

Looks like she's 17' with the V, correct?

Correct, it is 17' with the V. And thanks for the compliment on the layout. We toyed around with several ideas and to be honest, the only regret we have is not putting a catch cover right in front of the toilet.

Other than that, we are thrilled with it. If I can somehow get my 4 wheeler fixed this weekend, I will be fishing with my youngest son on Xmas day. We go fishing every year together on xmas, this will beat my old Yukon with the holes in it.

Feel free to steal all the ideas you like, I borrowed several ideas from great houses I have seen guys post here. This site has been a great help getting this thing done, from roofing advice to wiring the trailer lights, all the info has been here.

The house has 4 catch cover holes and we cut a large hole, in front of the stove and by the table. You can see the handle, the whole floor raises up there. We fish a clear water lake so it's pretty much like looking in an Aquariam all day. It is so fun to watch something come flying by that and then hearing the line going out.

I used knotty pine for the interior, however, I flipped it upside down when I installed it, I like the look beter. No I don't have a weight on it yet.

I have a ton of man hours in it, however this house was a learning experience for me, I could cut the time by 2/3 next one I build.

This thing was a ton of fun to build, my father helped with the financing and ended up working on the bathroom while I was on vacaction. I hope to get it on the ice by Xmas.