Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Big River

Gas Tank ?

6 posts in this topic

First off i'm not good with motors, but anyways. I have a 1979 Johnson 15 hp long shaft, with a plastic gas tank with a hose that has the primer bulb. My question is that when I pump the primer it fills with gas, and the first time I can get gas at the motor end, but then I pump it again and it gets hard and I cant't get no gas at the motor end, and the only way I can release the pressure is to disconnect the hose from the primer bulb. Anotherwards i'm not getting gas to the carb. Does it sound like a hose problem or carb, etc. problem. Just looking for some help or thoughts on this. thanks p.s. motor ran great before this.

If I'm following you correctly, I'd say the inlet needle in the carb is stuck shut. You would need to take apart the carb and rebuild it.

If you're getting the condition you describe while the hose is connected to the motor I agree with Bruce, sounds like a stuck inlet needle.

Is this something that just happened, or has the motor sat for a while?

marine_man

Given that I might be tempted to remove the gas hose from where it connects to the fuel pump / diaphragm and pump the primer bulb a bit and see if it pumps fuel through the hose to rule out the mating end of the connector.

marine_man