• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cabelas XML combos?

hoggs222

I went to Cabelas today. The were listed for 40 bucks, but I talked to a guy working there, and he did a price match. I bought 3.

Thanks to all for the recommendation. These are definitely the best ice combos I have ever owned

Correct, you have to talk with an employee and they will ask the person working at the 'Reels' desk to write up a price matching slip for each combo.

Like everyone mentioned before, the reel alone FE500ULB sells for 29.99, so getting the reel and rod for 24.98 is SWEEEETTTT.

I have one and like it.

Here are my thoughts on Cabelas rods and reels.

The Good:

-The "warrenty", if you have a problem you can walk up to the returns counter and get a new one, no recipt, no questions asked.

-The price, if it's a sale price is a really good deal, buy the reel get the rod free type etc, if it's the MSRP it's comparable to name brand items.

The Bad:

-There quality control is terrible, they have stuff sitting on the shelf that is already broken, I've had issues with the cork being cracked, guides falling out, parts of the reel loose....

-and lastley Most (if not all) of there stuff is made in China, there are 2 kinds of fishing reels in the world, those made in China, and those made in a country that is not China.

The Bad:

-There quality control is terrible, they have stuff sitting on the shelf that is already broken, I've had issues with the cork being cracked, guides falling out, parts of the reel loose....

-and lastley Most (if not all) of there stuff is made in China, there are 2 kinds of fishing reels in the world, those made in China, and those made in a country that is not China.

I don't know if the things you point out are related to quality. I'm guessing the things you point out are more related to customers being hard on display items. If you go to Gander/FF/etc, and mess with any of the display reels (doesn't matter the manufacturer) - chances are you will pick up one that is broken/not working correctly. As you get further into the ice season you will come across a number of ice rods with broken tips/components, doesn't matter which store or manufacturer (exception might be Ugly Sticks - them things are tough). Most of the issues are more than likely do to customer mistreatment then the product quality.

One exception is the St. Croix Premier Ice rods ... I am amazed at how poorly the line guides are aligned on those rods. Usually have to go through a 1/2 dozen or more before ya find one that has guides that are all aligned correctly. Disappointing that St. Croix would put their name something with those types of quality issues.

Originally Posted By: MuskieJunkie

The Bad:

I don't know if the things you point out are related to quality. I'm guessing the things you point out are more related to customers being hard on display items. If you go to Gander/FF/etc, and mess with any of the display reels (doesn't matter the manufacturer) - chances are you will pick up one that is broken/not working correctly. As you get further into the ice season you will come across a number of ice rods with broken tips/components, doesn't matter which store or manufacturer (exception might be Ugly Sticks - them things are tough). Most of the issues are more than likely do to customer mistreatment then the product quality.

One exception is the St. Croix Premier Ice rods ... I am amazed at how poorly the line guides are aligned on those rods. Usually have to go through a 1/2 dozen or more before ya find one that has guides that are all aligned correctly. Disappointing that St. Croix would put their name something with those types of quality issues.

Agreed