• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cabelas XML combos?

hoggs222

I was wondering what you think of the Cabelas XML combos? I just sent my wish list from Cabelas to my family and added one of these to the list.

They're on sale now for $25, marked down from $40. How are the reels? They're a 4+1 bearing.

If you are going to buy them at the sale price of $25, I would do it before they are gone. That is an incredible price for the quality of those combo IMHO. I have 3 of them (28" UL is one of my favorites). I am almost positive the reels are Pfluegers with the cabela name put on them. The reels alone are worth $30 dollars.

They haven't sold the green reels in the combo for a while now and the combos come with a gold reel. It is much better, smoother than my abu cardinal 100u and i don't say that often wink

Actually they sell both, I had a green combo in my hands today.

I agree with bassislife those reels are the best for the price. Very smooth drags. Have landed very big pike(14,7,8) on 2 & 4 lb test line while pannie fishing. You will not be disappointed. I bought one of those combos last spring on clerance for $20 and haven't had a chance to use it yet. But I purchased it because of the reel.

Originally Posted By: Gus
smooth reel in warm temps. Mine got very stiff in the cold so I had to take it back.

Did you try putting some hot sauce in it?

Nope. If they don't put out a quality ice reel to begin with it goes back to the store. There are plenty of others out there that work when cold.

If it was an older reel I would try it, but not for a brand new one that I could still return.

The first thing I do when I buy a new ice reel is to put it in the freezer for a couple hours and give it a test. If it won't pass that, it has no spot in my ice house. I'm not always inside a nice warm house and many times gear needs to sit outside overnight.

I only have one of the combo's and wish I had purchased more, the reel is as good as my tica lf 500's. Rods are light enough for panfish, but do have enough backbone for walleye's and perch.

Used it outside last year at -20 degrees and felt as smooth as when I brought it home. Also used the reel on one of my ul rods this summer, just a great reel...

WW