• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

bro series ice fishing rods

evinrude19

i was wondering if anyone has any thoughts about the new bro series ice fishing rods i think i might pick up the 27" quick tip combo and give it a shot with small jigs for crappies and sunnies

anyone use them or heard any thing about them? They look good to me

thanks

zach

Here is what I thought of the rods:

The rods themselves seemed pretty decent. Couple problems you need to watch out for: A lot of the eyes seemed to be crooked, if you decided to get one, make sure all the eyes are lined up.

As far as the reel goes, its OK. It wasn't the best in the world buy we won't really know how it does this year because its a new product. I say its OK because you could maybe feel a little grinding in it.

You'll just have to pick up a rod in your own hands and see how you like it.

I am pretty sure that they just had come out this year. As far as the rod goes, it has a really nice action. The reel seems decent, better than ones i have had in the past. Take into account that some ice reels perform differently in colder weather than in store heat. I believe that the drag is the most important piece of the reel, and that reel has a good one.

Nice combos for the price. There is going to be some differences from rod to rod and reel to reel since they are mass produced, but if you check out each rod in the store for defects, you can find a decent rod and reel for the price.

I looked over a bunch of them at Cabela's today. Very inconsistent guide alignment and spacing. I think it's a good blank, but I couldn't find one with guides I liked in a UL action. I picked up a St. Croix UL combo. BTW, I had to look those over as well to make sure they were straight and spaced well, but I did find some good ones. Does Berkeley still make Lightning ice rods? I have one from several years ago and wish I had a couple more. GREAT rods! Some day I'll pony up for a Thorne Bros. sweetheart rod...

Selmer

I have one of the old Berkley Genz Lightning rods and I love that rod. Definitely an example of "they don't make them like they used to".

Back to the topic of the Bro rods. I really like the action of the 27" Quick tip. Feels like it should be a nice value for a deadstick. I looked at a bunch of them, and if you look them over you can get some nice actions with proper guide placement. I was thinking about the combo, but I played with about 10 different reels and quite a few of them had issues ranging from problems with the instant anti-reverse to grinding of the gears when cranking. Makes me kind of nervous about the durability so I passed.

I picked one up today at Cabela's, i walked around with it for ten min. or so before i noticed that the front guide was all wacked out of place. I put that one back on the rack and looked at 10 more before i found one that looked good...but they seem to be very nice if you find one that is in shape. I bought the 24" UL and im hoping its a good combo for the price

the reel was decent... one thing i did not like about the reel was the button to colapse the handle. I prefer the screw knob like most reels have. Drag seemed nice. I'll be putting line on it in the next few days and then taking it out for a test drive or fish...whatever you want to call it...then i will get back to you on how it performs

i really like it, the reel im a little sketchy on but the drag is very nice, i just dont like how other parts of it are put together. i would say buy the rod and go with your favorite reel. But it is a very decent combo IMHO. I feel that it is sensitive enough to feel them on a lite bite, but has enough backbone that you dont have to put the rod through the celing to hook them.

but be careful with the tip, they snap very very easily

but be careful with the tip, they snap very very easily

I am guessing this is speaking from experience? shocked

Thanks for the info though, I picked one up today and I am still trying to decide whether to string it up, or bring it back. I am with you on the reel!