• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Depth????

Near drop offs work... I also set up on 6-8' flats too. The most important thing to remember is to have a long enough rope attached to your spear so it can easily make it to the bottom of the lake. This way, once a fish is speared, the spear will hit the bottom without coming to an abrupt stop, thus throwing the pike off. I think the deepest I have really speared is about 14'. But that is pretty deep (This was on some humps where they were hitting with tip-ups so we knew they were there).

I feel most comfortable in 8~10 FOW right on the edge of a weedline with a drop off within sight. Points or draws are very good contours to set up on also.

I am starting to like to setup about 3 feet off the weedline looking toward deeper water. Most fish will come in from under my chair that way. I don't have to worry about spooking them that way.

merk, your learning!!!!!!!:)

When i set up, everything goes off the maps on drop offs, and also shorelines. What is on the shorelines and if there is bull ruches outside of them.

You have to remember, pike come up to feed in that mess, and if your sitting on the outside of the weedline, you going to see alot of them fish that are coming up from the deep water, or coming from the shallows that were not around your area when they went up.

From the time that i have spent on the lake, if you can get on a outside weedline, or a inside turn, you are going to see alot of fish.

Depends on the lake, water clarity and structure. My main setup is in 10 to 12 feet of water on the edge of a sharp drop off that goes to 45 feet in a matter of fifty yards. If you look out to the deep from my spot its very dark. Most of my fish come from the deep. I usually setup as soon as is possible to get to my area and don't move the house the rest of the winter. I will also use a potable to fish eary ice other places but as the ice thickens I like to stick to my favorite spot.