Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Agronomist_at_IA

What's a keeper?

25 posts in this topic

Just kind of wondering what everyone considers a keeper size fish to eat when ice fishing?

would like to know on these fish.

1.Perch

2.Walleye

3.Blue Gill

4.Crappie

For me, the best keepers are fish that someone else has offered to clean grin

Otherwise, the fish I keep are usually perch that are 8 to 11 inches, and walleyes or saugers that are 13 - 18 inches.

It's not too often that I keep sunfish or crappies, and if I do they're usually metro-area potato chip-size fish that my kids want to keep.

I'm like PerchJerker,whats free is OK with me grinI keep 12"crappie,18"saugeye,6"-7"gills and redears.Don't get yellow perch here,sure wish we did.

I MYSELF LIKE TO TAKE PICTURES.. "SELECTIVE HARVESTING".. C.P.R CATCH PHOTOGRAPH RELEASE.. FOR THE ONES TOO BIG TO EAT TOO SMALL TO MOUNT.. THIS MOSTLY WITH WALEYE N NORTHERN.. I LIKE TO KEEP SOME MEDIUM SIZED PANFISH FOR ME AND MY GRANDMOTHER.. I DONT HAVE KIDS AND NOT MARRIED.. I ICE FISH EVERY WEEKEND, SO THAT IS WHY I LIMIT MY KEEPINGS.. I ALSO WILL SHARE MY CATCH WITH MY FISHIN' PALS.. 8-10 PERCH 14-20 WALLEYE IF NO SLOT 6-9 GILLS 10-13 CRAPPIE.. I HAVE A 15 1/4 CRAPPIE ON THE WALL..THIS WINTER HOPE TO CATCH A 16 OR 17.. SOUNDS DELICIOUS RIGHT NOW, FRESH SUNFISH OR WALLEYE.. SOON..

Perch 15"+

Walleye 25"+

Sunfish 11"+

Crappie 14"+

Just kiddin'

any perch over 9" will usually see the pail

Walleye it's hard to beat a nice fat 18"

Sunfish are great at 8" and over

and crapnecks are darn nice eating at anything over 10"

For me, I tend to throw the biggest back and keep moderate sized fish. For Perch and Eyes/Saugs I am with PerchJerker on the sizes.

For bluegills, I tend to keep em at 6.5 up to 7.99. If it hits 8, I am going to let it go, especially on a metro lake. Crappies I keep from 9-11 maybe 12. I know most people will keep all the big ones but I like to think I could do my part and put some back hoping they make it to the spawn.

Walleye 13-19 inch

Crappie up to slab size ('cept one nice one i mounted)

bluegills (not to picky) not too small and not too big

rainbows 13-16 (maybe a little larger or smaller if i've been skunkin' it lately)

Gills- 7-8"

Crappies- 8.5-11 inches maybe 12 depending on lake

Walleye- 13-18 if no slot

Perch- Junk fish i get very little meat off even a large one unless on Mille Lacs then I will keep em

Ryan

Depends on how long its been since I've had a fish dinner. If its been awhile, the numbers are 9,12,6,8. If I have had fish to eat recently, the numbers go up an inch or two each.

'eyes, 14-18 20 is the absolute max.

'gills, 6.5-8. it gets to me to see big 'gills fried up.

crappies, 9-11

perch, 10+. i usually only fish them on mille lacs and i prefer not to release those fish brought up from the deep water. I would release 13+ if could.

crappie- 9-12

perch 9-13

walleye-13.5-18

bluegill, 7-8

Every once in a while a pike goes home. 20-24 inches. Never, ever any thing over 24 though. I don't keep pike when I fish the metro.

Gills 7"

crappie 8"

Depends how hungry I am and if the fish are bigger to start with I'll keep the minimum higher.

crappie 8-11

walleye 12-16

perch over 10

no gills present

pike 20-24

Gills 7.5+

Craps 7.5+

Perch 10+

Walleyes 14.5 to about 18"

Still am looking for my first 30"+ walleye and then I would measure her and snap a photo and send her back to be caught again.

Live in Michigan so at least

15" for a walleye

24" for a pike

9-10" for gills

perch anything over 10"

eyes' 14-17

crappies 9-11

I like to toss all the gills back. I wish the state would lower limits on all fish and put in slot limits for everything as well.

9 to 13 perch

8.5 to 11.5 crappies

7 to 8.5 bluegills

13.5 to 20 walleyes

20 to 24 pike

I was told if you have to ask if its a keeper. you should throw it back! but i agree what toomuchfun said!

9-12 crappies

8-? gills

8-13 perch

15-21 walleyes

20-25 slimmer

12-? bucket mouths