• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What's a keeper?

Agronomist_at_IA

For me, the best keepers are fish that someone else has offered to clean grin

Otherwise, the fish I keep are usually perch that are 8 to 11 inches, and walleyes or saugers that are 13 - 18 inches.

It's not too often that I keep sunfish or crappies, and if I do they're usually metro-area potato chip-size fish that my kids want to keep.

I MYSELF LIKE TO TAKE PICTURES.. "SELECTIVE HARVESTING".. C.P.R CATCH PHOTOGRAPH RELEASE.. FOR THE ONES TOO BIG TO EAT TOO SMALL TO MOUNT.. THIS MOSTLY WITH WALEYE N NORTHERN.. I LIKE TO KEEP SOME MEDIUM SIZED PANFISH FOR ME AND MY GRANDMOTHER.. I DONT HAVE KIDS AND NOT MARRIED.. I ICE FISH EVERY WEEKEND, SO THAT IS WHY I LIMIT MY KEEPINGS.. I ALSO WILL SHARE MY CATCH WITH MY FISHIN' PALS.. 8-10 PERCH 14-20 WALLEYE IF NO SLOT 6-9 GILLS 10-13 CRAPPIE.. I HAVE A 15 1/4 CRAPPIE ON THE WALL..THIS WINTER HOPE TO CATCH A 16 OR 17.. SOUNDS DELICIOUS RIGHT NOW, FRESH SUNFISH OR WALLEYE.. SOON..

For me, I tend to throw the biggest back and keep moderate sized fish. For Perch and Eyes/Saugs I am with PerchJerker on the sizes.

For bluegills, I tend to keep em at 6.5 up to 7.99. If it hits 8, I am going to let it go, especially on a metro lake. Crappies I keep from 9-11 maybe 12. I know most people will keep all the big ones but I like to think I could do my part and put some back hoping they make it to the spawn.

Walleye 13-19 inch

Crappie up to slab size ('cept one nice one i mounted)

bluegills (not to picky) not too small and not too big

rainbows 13-16 (maybe a little larger or smaller if i've been skunkin' it lately)