• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wheel House ?s

DRH1175

I am 6'2" and from spending many nights in a 6.5' and only one in a 8'.. Bigger is better! a little more streching room. Maybe someone will correct me on this but I believe the 8' has less twisting in the rear when you set it up for a toy hauler. Something to due with strapping surface on the rear walls.

I agree bigger is better and it isnt if any harder to get off the Ice I had a 7 x 21 wheel house everyone said it was huge till they fished in it. now im building another 7x20 wheel house the only way to do it is to upgrade every couple of years kinda like women.

I think I like the 8' idea since It will be my camper for awhile as well. How hard are the long ones like 18 - 20 footers to get on and off the ice? Not much of an issue down the road as most campers are this long. How about hydraulics? and double axles any advantages here?

i agree bigger is better also but heavier as well. More gas get it... You need to consider a few more things.

1.How far do you plan to travel? If you are wealthy than not an issue.

2. Do you ever have company or take a lot of STUFF along?

3. Do you enjoy early ice?

That being said good luck.

when you build your frame make your house sit real high I even put taller tires on mine. As far as the access. When I launch my 20 footer I always have fished the lake ahead of time so I know the access once had a real steep one drifted huge in front of the way out took half a day but that was the worst. once mine is launched I usually drive my park avneue out to it saves a ton on gas. as far as hydraulics and to axels I think waste of time my leef springs came from f.f. work great so Why change it and make it more compicated. this is my opinion thou

I would go 8' wide before 6'5" the extra width seems to make a bigger difference in room in the house.I have run a Hyd wheel system for 3 years and no problems yet with axles bending or the Hyd not working.If you are going to have a house 16 foot or longer I would think about runnig Tandem axles. MY 2cents

8' All the way! I had a 6.5 x 14 and got 9 mpg with a F-150. I now Have a 8 x 20 plus a 3 foot V and get 8, so yeah it takes a little more, but not that much. Mine is a double axl, and the double really takes a lot of the weight off your hitch. Of course you still need tongue weight, but it does not squat your vehicle. Makes a huge difference inside with room!! I now also switch to a heavier sidewall tire, less tire squat and sway.

One thing to consider is that with the 8' models the Wheels are on the inside and covered...so this takes a lot of room, and usually narrows the center to around 4'...and then you can't see clearly from front to back, holes around corners etc...

They can be built to close to 7' on the outside which gives enough room inside for sleeping for most...or run the bunks lengthwise, which is better for fishing out of the holes on the opposite side...not stepping in them when the rattle wheel goes off in your sleep... blush

With the 8' and the wheels inside, it is harder to to steal the wheels, and maybe the trailor when let down...

An Extreme V-Front will improve Mileage and you can tuck a Potty in there...

Ideal for me: 7' with Wheels Outside, Extreme V, Aluminum Frames, Drop Tongue, Maintenance Free, Extreme Insulation, Small Oven with Cooktop, Solar and Wind Charging for Batteries, Water Tank up High for Running Water, Thermostatically Controlled Outside Vent into Cooler, Fold up Bunks, Wide Back Door(s), Side Door Behind V, Door into V from Inside for Potty...etc..

Vent in V... blush

Holes Placed Exactly Right... laugh

As usual whatever route you go won't allow for All the Benefits of Both... frown

Hope this helps...confuse things... laugh

I agree with Moby on the V front and the hole placement. I would like to build an 8' wide. I draw up plans probably every other week of floor plans for fish houses (doesn't help with ice fishing fever). But hole placement is key! Me and my dad did not do a lot of pre planning when we built our first wheelhouse. The holes are too far apart so that you have to completely turn around to fish 2 holes. Also got the holes too close to the wall/corners which makes it very difficult to drill your holes straight. Also didn't make our v-front sharp enough unless your pickup has a topper that makes a huge difference. Just my .02 Also keep in mind bunk placement when you are placing your holes.

If you go 8' wide I built stove and counter top over one tire and the other side I put a small bench to sit on and on the ends of house I put my bunks one on each end.Put furnace and batteries under one of the bunks House is 8'by 16' with 7 holes.