• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spring 09' Destinations

JimBuck

So I know it seems a little premature to be bringing this up but what are your plans for trips in the Spring of 2009? I usually do LOTW in Canada but this year a few buddies and I are going to try a new body of water in Minnesota. I'd like to have the option of chasing muskies but also being able to target walleye/northern. Here's what I have in mind in no particular order.

LOTW (US side)

Rainy Lake (US side)

Lake Vermillion

Cass Lake

Pelican Lake

Any recommendations on resort's would be greatly appreciated as well. Thanks guys! Now bring on the ice!

Jim Buck,

Our family has been going to Cass Lake for 21 years. We stay at the Wishbone Resort and have always been treated like royalty. Bill, Lois, Ronnie and Linda run a great resort. Most of their cabins have all been built new in the past few years, some with air all with ceiling fans in all rooms. Dock boys are outstanding and they have a great bar area with a good juke box. They do a steak night that is outstanding and very reasonable. They do tend to be booked solid so I would put a call into Lois or Linda if you are interested, tell them that Windy City Walleye Hunter sent you! They will take good care of you.

Windy

Cass is my annual destination too....but usually in early June.

For Musky on Cass, I would suggest July 19, which would also allow you to hit your other target species of walleye and pike.

Our home resort on Cass is Birch Villa. All new cabins and the owner, Mark, is a huge Musky guy who probably would help with a few spots. Tell them that Fred & Gene sent you. BVilla has the best harbor on the lake and sits on the SW shore...and prices are reasonable. I have stayed there the last 14 straight yrs.

Well keep in mind it's practically summer when muskie season opens in Minnesota. US side of LOTW and Rainy would be tough for muskie, though pike and walleye are certainly there. Vermilion certainly will offer all 3 species, but I've heard it's been very crowded at times during recent years.

I hit cass and vermilion 2 times a year, love both. The only thing I don't like about cass is it's always windy and limits 1/2 the lake. The v is narrow/long and have never been limited on where to fish. If I were to take a trip "outside the box" would be Leech. Great fishing for me this past fall.

I use to go with my father to the LOW's but I have not been back since he passed. My last trip there was a few months before he passed but I did not know at that time that he was that ill with cancer. He kept saying we needed to go and the trip means all the more to me now.

Time to go back and do a little fishing and have one in memory of my Father.

Dont forget about Leech, the eyes will be a little bigger size by then (larger than the 14" caught this summer by everyone).

That's plan A for us right now. If the price of gas goes back up, we might put plan B in effect. (Not sure what that is yet.)

My Spring destinations are the same as my summer, fall and winter destinations: at home in Otter Tail County! There are over 1000 lakes here, so there is always a hot bite to be found somewhere. I'll be fishing Ottertail, Big Pine, Star, Lida, West Battle, or one of the many smaller lakes that are within 20 miles of my house. I am so lucky my Grandpa convinced my dad to move to OT county back in 1962.

I fish pike in the morning with giant suckers then I troll for lake trout during the afternoon on a lake in Ely. I get serious about walleyes when the shiners start to run. I love moving water in the BWCA below falls around the first week in June. Some of my biggest walleyes have come during that week too. Hans

The Sturgeon Excursion on the Rainy River. Can't wait!

Dtro and Hanson, you'll have to take me shopping some time in March.

Will do!!

The Sturgeon Excursion on the Rainy is definitely the highlight of my spring.

I "hope" to make it up there a bit earlier this year for the Walleye run as well.

Just think what my dad will be like on that trip...

I know... he won't be the only one. grin

I can still hear "Get on that ditch pickle and let that 600 bark" echoing across the ice of URL. Good stuff! "I'm gonna get my drink on!"

I've only been to Vermilion twice but both times we caught tons of fish, all different species. I keep telling myself to get back up there. If you have a gps chip and a boat that will cover some water you can find and fish just about any species and any kind of structure you want up there.

Vermilion in the Sping and after the 4th of July hit Rainy. I dont give a crapp about fine service, accomodations, swell food or friendly people.

Im a fisherman.

I'll eat dog-crapp sandwiches all day as long as Im catching TONS of fish.

JigginJim,

I highly recommend it. If you can get up there on a good weekend that place is heaven. This fall was really strange up there with not nearly as much action compared to years past. Probably due to the weather being so goofy this season.

I just booked my trip to LOW in Nestor Falls for a spring excursion...YES!