Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve Eddicus

Chubby Darters

51 posts in this topic

well seeing your location is pitchin under the dock... i would say your no where close.... i did see them at cabelas in owatonna but only 3 left... i know gander up here in fargo doesent have them, but did last year. so depending on where you are i guess is the real deal. also i know that thorne bros has it as well

GM in Flake don't have it, Joe's don't have it either, Cabela's in Rogers don't have it.

I might take a peak at FleetFarm in Blaine, I didn't look through Thorne Bros. - was placing my ice baitcaster rod order.

That's what I'm saying. No one in the metro has them. Including Thorne Bros. Red Rock wanted too much for shipping so I decided not to buy. Guess I'll just use other options or have someone look for me at the show. Thanks

I would bet they will be available at GM or FF in the next few weeks. You could also ask Thorne to special order you some I'm sure they would..

Ryan

There were a few at GM earlier this week. I was at both the Forest Lake and the Woodbury locations. Cant remember exactly which but I'm leaning more towards Woodbury.

I'll save you some gas hunting for them bud.

GM will not have them (I can't order from that distributor for GM...nobody can at GM), they only come from a certain distributor that GM does not work with...for now anyway.

Cabela's, Red Rock, Reeds..(maybe?),Scheels, Salmo USA, and some stray on-line bait and tackle sites may carry them.

FYI: GM will be the only place you can get the #3-#4-#5 LBD, (Luminescent Blue Dace). Get them early..they are going FAST!

If anyone is still looking, Scheel's in St. Cloud still had some last time I was in there. I grabbed the last #4, but there were a couple 3's and a bunch of 5's.

Hey Backwater Eddy,

Do you fish the blue dace just like the Chubby Darters?

Thanks,

tweed

tweedlap, I believe he was refering to the Chubby Darter in the blue dace pattern.

Yes sir, same lure just a glow blue dace pattern with a orange/red splash on there bellies, front Red treble hook (To imitate gill flash of fleeing prey), that has proven to me at least..to be a real killer.

It's a glow, Ed? I'll have to make sure to pick one up, a glow blue CD would be a killer.

Yup..she be a "Glow Get'r" Eh.

It is a custom color pattern I designed for GM as a Gander exclusive pattern. That is why it is only available from GM.

wink

Ahhh, I went and checked them out today. The way I read your post, I thought it was a blue glow. Now thats something they need to come out with.

The blue does glow from the luminescent base underneath to allow for a contrasting wobble effect as you jig it. Spark them up and get them wet once you will see.

The glow is configured like the other luminescent models of Salmo Chubbys with a double layer of glow paint under the detail to push the detail out to accentuate the contrasts.

The smaller the Chubby the thinner the contrasting base coat colors will be...so the #3 and #4 will pop glow blue very well. The #5 will be a darker back blue and graduate to lighter blue glow into the sides.

The contrast is a very key element to draw fish up and stimulate strikes.

That Sumo Sow Walleye in my profile picture, she came on a #5 LBD, as did 3 more sumo sows last winter. So...they are doing something right.

Eddie,

I looked on Salmo's site and they do not show a red chubby.

Is this a new color for them?

Please let us know how to fish the chubby. Do you jiggle it or snap jig it, etc?

Do you start with it about 6" from the bottom?

Do you recomment a #3 for perch?

Thanks,

tweed

bought the red at scheels in mankato friday and the blue dace at gander mt. on friday in mankato. scheels told me crappie attack the red, this is the second year for them.