• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Marine GPS - Which one is best?

go fish

Question

Help!! I want to buy a Marine GPS for my boyfriend & could use some recommendations. I heard him mention he was looking at the Lowrance H2O models, I've read the cords are bad on them. I've read good things too about the Lowrance XOG Crossover & the Garmin GPSMap 76. This will be mostly for use in Western PA Rivers, the Allegheny River, in Venango County area. Any thoughts, suggestions you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

4 answers to this question

Any of those you mentioned would be good choices. I like Garmin and were I to choose and money was no option I would choose the Garmin GPSMap76CSX for a handheld. For a little less expensive option you could look at the GPSMap60 series. I think it has most of the same features available in the 76 series but with a little less on board memory. Both accept memory cards I believe.

I also read a lot of good comments regarding the Lowrance products and I think if I were to choose here I would choose the H20C if my primary focus was fishing. From what I've been hearing, the lake contour mapping software available for the Lowrance products might have a little edge on the Garmin but I can't say that for sure since I haven't reviewed the Lowrance mapping software.

Hope this helps.

Bob

If it will be used out in the elements make sure it is a waterproof unit. I dont think the XOG is.

I have the Lowrance H2Oc and really like it. I just wish it had a bigger screen. I have never had any issues with it.. My cord is 4 years old and I use it all the time and have no issues.

I also recomend whatever you get him should be able to use Navionics and Lakemaster plug n play chips for the area he will use his unit in most.

Go color it is worth the extra cost.

Northlander makes an important point about the XOG, it's not a waterproof model so if your primary use for it will be outdoors and fishing then there better options. Battery life is a possible issue for outdoor use too as it has an internal rechargable battery only.

The Lowrance H2OC and Expedition are both great units and very popular. Again, like Northlander said I've had mine for years and not had a problem with the power cord, I think I'm going on 6 years with mine.

Garmin makes a great GPS, there's no question about that. If you go with a Garmin you need to use Garmin mapping products (they have several and they're good), whereas if you went with a Lowrance you could use a Navionics map chip in the unit. The GPSMAP 76 and GPSMAP 60 are both outstanding units.

LakeMaster doesn't have any mapping products for the PA area right now so I don't think you need to consider the ability to use a LM chip in your gps.

I hope this helps. You can see these units HERE if you want.