• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

auger repair

hotlips13

Question

anyone know of a store to bring my auger to have a the recoil fixed, the cord you pull to start it, and to have my blades sharpened. i live in bloomington so info on a store from mpls to south metro would be optimal. thanks for the info.

6 answers to this question

thanks for the info....do you think its a small enough job to it by oneself or is it too involved-the recoil that is. if i could do it by myself i would like to buy the part, i'm assuming a big outdoor store would have them in stock or would i have to order the part from the manufacturer???

There are a few things that go wrong with recoils.

Broken rope.

Spring retainer breaks. Most likely that retainer is a pin.

Loop in spring breaks. Thats the loop that goes around the pin.

Grease becomes too thick, dirt sticks to grease and the dogs won't engage.

Any small engine shop/repair center will have the rope and can do the repair. Or do a search of your brand auger for an authorized service center and go there.

Which of the above is your problem.

I can do the rope in 10 minutes and so can a small engine shop, you'll have to go there to get the rope anyway. If your going to do that yourself I could talk you through it. Don't take the spool off though. If the rope it broke there shouldn't be a load on the spring.

Once you start messing with the spring or its retainers making new loops or making a new retaining pins it gets a little more tricky. Go ahead and email me.

Frank, i tried to email at address provided but it didn't go through. I haven't looked at it since i used it last, last February. however, i do know that the cord won't recoil. the last time i pulled the cord, it just stayed out and didn't go back into the housing. the cord itself isn't broken and i haven't taken anything apart to look inside of it. I bought new about 4-5 years ago, its a Strike Master but i don't remember the make off hand. i have to pick it up from where i left it so i'll get whatever more info for when you need it. you can post here, otherwise my email [email protected]

thx, Tony

You have to put .com after frankbdeluca@yahoo

Give continuous small taps to the top of the recoil with a block of wood. The rope might pull in and be fine after that. Just don't smack it or it'll break.

Or it could be that dirt and grease has it gummed up. Take the recoil off and spray the mechanism down with WD-40. Keep the spool on and work the spool till it retracts. Spray some more while working the recoil to flush it out good.

If that doesn't do it the spool will have to come off and the spring end or pins fixed. Assume the spring is under load, it can jump out of there and bite you. You might want to bring it in at that point and have it fixed. I'll send an email.

Not that this might not be the cause, its just a note.

I see ropes broke, pins busted, and spring ends broke from getting long armed. An auger rope is only so long, if you pull till it stops you've pulled too far. When starting hold the auger in one hand, extend your arm. With the other hand on the rope, pull to you chest, don't pull any further.

If your looking for a place close to home (I not trying to take away from you Surface, just a couple of suggestions) I have had pretty good luck finding parts at Bieswingers (in New Brighton I believe). You can also try D-Rock, also in New Brighton, They service Strikemaster and usually have parts and service available. I forget the small engine guys name but he is really good at what he does and reasonable if your interested in having somebody do it for you.

The recoils are pretty easy to do and if I remember right it was around $20 for the kit for my Strikemaster with the 2hp Tecumseh. Took me about 20 minutes to install.